Which quotations from great leaders and writers might you best like to see displayed at advertising locations for the education and benefit of the world?

Which quotations from great leaders and writers might you best like to see displayed at advertising locations and in trains and buses, for the education and benefit of the world?

Among the first that come to mind as most helpful in supporting the anti-theist cause are the truths uttered or written by America’s founding fathers and other great people whose names are well-known to everyone including bible-thumping fundamentalists. Every country, every language will have its favorites.

“The purpose of separation of church and state is to keep forever from these shores the ceaseless strife that has soaked the soil of Europe in blood for centuries.”  James Madison 1803

“Millions of fables, tales and legends have been blended with Jewish and Christian revelation that have made them the most bloody religion that ever existed.”  John Adams

“Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise, every expanded prospect.”  James Madison

“Religious controversies are always productive of more acrimony and irreconcilable hatreds than those which spring from any other cause. I had hoped that liberal and enlightened thought would have reconciled the Christians so that their religious fights would not endanger the peace of Society.” George Washington.

“I have recently been examining all of the known superstitions of the world and do not find in our particular superstition (Christianity) one redeeming feature. They are all alike, founded upon fables and mythologies.” Thomas Jefferson. 1743-1826

“Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties.”  Abraham Lincoln

“Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear”.  Thomas Jefferson

“…Freedom arises from the multiplicity of sects, which pervades America and which is the best and only security for religious liberty in any society. For where there is such a variety of sects, there cannot be a majority of any one sect to oppress and persecute the rest.” James Madison. 1778

[spoken at the June 1778 Virginia convention on ratifying the Constitution]

“Our civil rights have no dependence upon our religious opinions more than our opinions in physics or geometry.” Thomas Jefferson

“Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise, every expanded prospect.” James Madison.   

“During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What has been its fruits? More or less, in all places, pride and indolence in the clergy; ignorance and servility in the laity; in both, superstition, bigotry, and persecution.” James Madison.

“I belong to no church.” Abraham Lincoln

“The Bible is not my book and Christianity is not my religion. I could never give assent to the long, complicated statements of Christian dogma.” Abraham Lincoln

“Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man.” Thomas Jefferson

“And the day will come, when the [virgin birth] will rank with the fable of the generation [birth] of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter.”  Thomas Jefferson

“Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.”  Abraham Lincoln

“Let the human mind loose. It must be loose. It will be loose. Superstition and dogmatism cannot confine it.” John Adams 1816.           [Letter to his son, John Quincy Adams, 1816 November 13].

You believe in a book that has talking animals, wizards, witches, demons, sticks turning into snakes, burning bushes, food falling from the sky, people walking on water, and all sorts of magical, absurd and primitive stories, and you say that we are the ones that need help?” Mark Twain

Tags: Advertising atheism

Views: 110

Replies to This Discussion

As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

Article 11 of the Treaty of Peace and Friendship, 1796-1797, between US and Tripoli of Barbary. John Adams, President of US.
"There can be but little liberty on earth while men worship a tyrant in heaven."

Robert Green Ingersoll

"A hallucination is a fact, not an error; what is erroneous is a judgment based upon it."

Bertrand Russell

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Carl Sagan
Gotta love it...
"Actually most ardent theists, too, are a-theistic towards theisms that are not of their own". [sez I]
Thanks for the chuckle - first good one I've had in a while!
As I am Australian I am a bit short on American stuff, but here are some Brits and an exiled Frenchman

"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out, which is the exact opposite."

Bertrand Russell-Skeptical Essays (1928)

"I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong." Bertrand Russell

"Anything to stupid to be said is sung." (I'm thinking hymns) and...

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Atheism is not a belief, its an absence of belief. Richard Dawkins
I was about to vote for one of the presidents' quotes, but then I came across:

“You believe in a book that has talking animals, wizards, witches, demons, sticks turning into snakes, burning bushes, food falling from the sky, people walking on water, and all sorts of magical, absurd and primitive stories, and you say that we are the ones that need help?” Mark Twain

That'll slap some reality into the weakly religious.
that is truly an epic quote
I love Carl Sagan quotes..

Take this for example :

"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism"

OR:

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

And:

"Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge."
My favorite Carl Sagan quote is: "Evolution is a fact."

It caused a few ripples when that was broadcast on his excellent PBS series, "Cosmos." Fundies wrote the station (KCET) and said they would never watch its programs or support it in the future. Pity. They might have learned something. Eventually.
"The day that this country ceases to be free for irreligion, it will cease to be free for religion--except for the sect that can win political power." ~Justice Robert H. Jackson
"It is a heretic that makes the fire, not she which burns in it." ~William Shakespeare

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service