Scientists working on NASA's six-wheeled rover on Mars have a problem. But it's a good problem.
They have some exciting new results from one of the rover's instruments. On the one hand, they'd like to tell everybody what they found, but on the other, they have to wait because they want to make sure their results are not just some fluke or error in their instrument.
[…]
John Grotzinger, the principal investigator for the rover mission, says they recently put a soil sample in SAM, and the analysis shows something earthshaking. "This data is gonna be one for the history books. It's looking really good," he says.

My hopes are high that something of real significance has been discovered – but then, I have been disappointed more than once.

Tags: Mars, New_discovery, Rover

Views: 260

Replies to This Discussion

Or even the fossils of previously-existing life would be awesome.

Such as a human bone?

Heh heh heh heh heh.  No, not quite that earthshaking.  Fossils of previously-existing microbial life or very simple multi-cellular organisms, I mean.  I don't think Mars had enough time to develop anything very complex.  It cooled pretty rapidly, being so much smaller and further from the sun.

NASA came out saying that there was nothing of importance, I guess what there looking for is Hydrogen

This is an update?  Were they mistaken about what they thought they had found?

This is from their website:

MSL Rover

NASA will provide a Curiosity update on Monday,
Dec. 3 at noon EST, at the American Geophysical Union. Rumors of major new findings at this early stage are incorrect.

The news conference will discuss Curiosity's use of instruments to investigate a drift of sandy soil. Audio and visuals from the briefing will be available via UStream.

Nice.  So, we're still on for a big, shocking discovery?

If I recall the last time they had a major announcement is was something dull and not very major. but yeah were still waiting, the NASA scientist that came out and hinted toward life was jumping the gun and didnt know what he was talking about apparently.

Interested in a Ticket to Mars?

Well, isn't that special?! We can just continue as we are, polluting our waters, soils, and air and when the temperature gets too high we can just pay $500, 000 per person, and go to Mars. Don't know what housing will cost, though. Maybe that would be a bit costly, too. Or we could stop trying so hard to make Earth like Mars. 

Isn't that special?

The findings should be interesting to follow.

Actually, NASA has thrown cold water on the parade -

John Grotzinger, the principal investigator for the rover mission, says they recently put a soil sample in SAM, and the analysis shows something earthshaking. "This data is gonna be one for the history books. It's looking really good," he says.

The findings at this point are reported by NASA as only simple organics - so much for the history books.......damn it!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service