Well, from science books i read the sun is 149,597,900 km from Planet Earth. I would like to know what types of forces puts the sun in a fixed position and if possible what does science put forward to explain the sources of these forces ?

Any one out there to give me facts so i can explain well to the children i teach at our school. Thanks.

Tags: earth, freethought, galaxy, humanism, nature, planet, sun

Views: 910

Replies to This Discussion

"but this might be a good place to explain how the universe is expanding and even our milky way galaxy is not fixed in the universe."

Also note that galaxies occur in clusters, which don't necessarily expand. Instead they tend to orbit each other, collide, etc.

There is no up and down in space.  The people on the opposite side of the earth see up and down differently from you.  So up and down depends on where a person is on the earth. Imagine that everything in space is like dust floating in air -but there is no up or down, so there is nowhere to fall.

The earth spins very fast, but we don't fall off because the earth's gravity pulls on us and keeps us in place.  When something falls, it is just gravity pulling it.  The earth revolves around the sun - like a stone on a string - because the gravity of the sun keeps it from shooting off into space.  If the string breaks, the stone will fly away.

The sun cannot fall, unless a larger sun comes close to it and pulls it with its own, greater gravity.  The earth cannot fall toward the sun because we are moving too fast - like the rock on a string.

Hope this helps.

Another useful image:

?  

From the wiki page "Orbit". This demonstrates the two primary forces at work in maintaining a stable orbital motion.

Attachments:

George,

Thanks for that informative illustrative answer.

Thanks Caroline for the elaboration.

Caroline, Robert:  A nebula is a cloud of dust and gas in interstellar space; galaxies aren't part of nebulas.  Often are created by exploding stars.  

Example: This is the Crab nebula, which is the remains of a star that exploded several thousand years ago.
All the bodies in the solar system are actually moving around their center of mass, which is quite close to the sun (sun is so heavy.) Here's sun's orbit: http://www.orbitsimulator.com/BA/sbc4.GIF
It's not in a fixed position. It's constantly moving. Everything is just so far apart, they don't touch. Plus the 'force' of gravity. Gravity is what's holding everything "in place", or rather, everything's moving, but they're moving together because of the force of gravity between them.
I think kids would understand an analogy the best.  The one l like to use is to put a ball on a string and swing it around your head.  The string will be taut as it rotates your head.  At that time, there is a balance of forces.  The string (gravity) keeps the ball from going outward, but the velocity of the ball (or the planet) keeps it from coming inward.  If the ball were to slow down, it would rotate closer to the body, and that happens when satellites slow down and crash into earth.  There are other principles that can be demonstrated, but it would depend on how well the kids understand the first demonstration.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service