See

http://phys.org/news/2013-03-evidence-ancient-asteroid-global-fires...

When a 6-mile diameter asteroid hit the earth 66 million years ago, there was a HUGE heat of impact. 

Some of that heat ended up in the atmosphere, when rock was vaporized, went up into the air, and then condensed again. 

So the entire atmosphere of the earth gave off a pulse of infrared heat radiation at about 2700 F, which turned the surface of the earth into an oven for several hours ...

and the dinosaurs roasted. 

Views: 111

Replies to This Discussion

Mmmmm...tastes like chicken!

So that would be about 1500°C.  I have difficulty relating to °F.  I've also read recently the theory that the dinosaurs were finished off by the Deccan Traps eruptions just before the Chicxulub event.  http://www.livescience.com/25324-volcanoes-killed-dinosaurs.html (not my original reference but it refers to the same theory).  What will it take to know the truth?  Another large impact?  Will we be around to analyse the data?

So that would be about 1500°C.

That would be in the atmosphere, not on the ground.  The temperatures on the ground would depend on whether a fire was ignited on the spot.  There's apparently a layer of charcoal around the globe at the K-Pg boundary that suggests worldwide fires were ignited by the impact. 

And the seas boiled.  Maybe.  Or volcanic ash contributed to the smothering.  Or the Yucatan asteroid struck the major fault line that exists near the point of impact and triggered multiple volcanic eruptions and ash release.  There aren't measurable examples of the phenomenon you describe, since, in order to create that amount of heat, the asteroid would have needed to be larger or traveling 10 times faster than average asteroid speed.  It would have lost much mass and speed traveling through the atmosphere which means its entry speed and size would be enormous.  And only 6 miles in diameter when it made impact.  Maybe it went all the way through earth and released the fires of hell.  (Oops, wrong forum.)

Probably because the dinosaurs were all gay.  (Then again, wouldn't that have caused their extinction all by itself?)

I like the idea of gay dinosaurs.  It makes them seem more 'human'.  Gayness is a subject I've never heard discussed before in a Darwinian evolutionary since.  Obviously, gays exist and have since the beginning of recorded history.  The question would be why?  What evolutionary momentum would result in a segment of the population being gay?  Perhaps I'll start my own discussion along those lines, since this trail seems to be going in a different dirrection.

There are gay birds, both male and female :) The link discusses how this might have evolved.

Since the birds are the surviving dinosaurs, yes there are gay dinosaurs.
Strange direction for this subject to turn, but fun.
Some dinosaurs were colorful like birds are.

in order to create that amount of heat, the asteroid would have needed to be larger or traveling 10 times faster than average asteroid speed. 

Where do you get that from?

Maybe it went all the way through earth and released the fires of hell.  (Oops, wrong forum.)

You are one of those split personalities with a theist and an atheist sharing one body?

More than being an atheist, I'm an antithesis and anti-theist.  I am absolutely rational, aka, not superstitious.  No easter bunny, no santa clause, no tooth fairy, no miracles, no magic, no ghosts, no reincarnation, no zombies, no vampires, no super-heros, no angels, no fate, no divine intervention, and no father, son, or holy ghost.

Scientists have been all over the logical scenarios for the end of dinosaurs and the scotched earth idea isn't likely or embraced.  You can have the asteroid in the picture since the particulate fallout from the approximate time of the impact and demise of dinosaurs is too coincidental to ignore.

Are there cases of reptilian homosexuality?  Seems like evolution would have eliminated it long ago.

Scientists have been all over the logical scenarios for the end of dinosaurs and the scotched earth idea isn't likely or embraced. 

Source for that?  The article I linked to suggests otherwise. 

Many causes, but the asteroid seems to have been the coup de grace.

"Are there cases of reptilian homosexuality?"

There are definitely lesbian reptiles, at least.  In fact, there are some lizards that reproduce only via female-female mating.  True story.  But I bring it up because you mentioned the fires of hell, and I thought it was funny.  ;)

I would like to know wht everyone thinks about the Deccan Traps theory I mentioned in my earlier post.  The latest information about this is older than the Global Firestorm information but I think it needs to be considered.  The research was carried out by a team led by Gerta Keller of Princeton University and is reported on the same web site as the Global Firestorm report, so I think it is equally worth considering.  It uses plankton survival and distribution as a gauge of extinction pressure.  A search for Gerta Keller on Phys.org brings up results http://phys.org/search/?search=gerta+keller  One thing that I've been unable to find is a clear, preferably graphical, timeline of the events referred to.

I note that the reports from Gerta Keller's research refer to the K/T Boundary rather than the K/Pg boundary.  I gather that the term Tertiary has been replaced by Paleogene.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service