Deut {32:7} Remember the days of old, consider the years of many generations: ask thy father, and he will shew thee; thy elders, and they will tell thee. {32:8} When the Most High divided to the nations their inheritance, when he separated the sons of Adam, he set the bounds of the people according to the number of the children of Israel. {32:9} For the LORD’S portion [is] his people; Jacob [is] the lot of his inheritance.

This tells us that the LORD, which would in the Bible mean Yahweh, inherited Jacob's people, the Jews from the Most High, probably the father of the LORD. So, after all, Yahweh does not seem to be the most powerful and original god. Not even a creator god.

Please share your thoughts / information on this subject and let me know the source of your information.

Views: 195

Replies to This Discussion

There is no god, so this is null and void, all of this you have shared is a manmade construct.

Well yeah, but lots of atheists enjoy playing around with religious themes and often-ignored details within people's holy books.  Contemplating all of the weird stuff in their holy book is what turns a lot of theists into atheists ... or at least less fundamentalist theists.

Hell, some of my favorite movies have religious themes.  I enjoyed Constantine.

I liked Constantine as well, especially in that it shows what an utter prick Yahweh is and the utter ridiculousness of their whole system.

Side Note: I DON'T see what Constantine sees in Ardbeg, though.  I like a good, peaty, Islay malt, but Ardbeg goes overboard!

Of course in the stories and such, God always has to be stripped down to less than omniscient and omnipotent.  The whole narrative with Satan and hell doesn't work, otherwise.

Meri Weathers, 

I think that your reply seems to be a little out of focus. I haven't claimed god existed. Deuteronomy is not my construct. Can you please understand what it says?

Thank you Madhukar, I did understand and maybe was a little off topic & out of focus with my comment , I think you are trying to point out that god was not even a creator according to this passage.

Deuteronomy (actually, most of the Bible) was a tribal self-justification of brutal conquest.  Unfortunately, it's still being used as such today.

}}}}

Yeah, if it ain't broke ...

Meri, I don't think he was implying the existence of any god, just pointing out a flaw of that particular scripture from the bible.
I do agree with Ted's reasoning. The wording does sound like tribal activity.

My point is, does Deut {32:7} suggest something about Yahweh's mythological background? I have just reead a book by one Judaic scholar which says something about this and I wanted to find out some more information, if possible, from people here.

Tracie Harris of The Atheist Experience did a presentation of a lot of the information we've discovered from archaeology, about the pantheon of the Ugaritic people, from which it seems that Yahweh emerged.  It was spread over the course of three episodes, intermixed with a lot of other material:

Atheist Experience #464: Gods of the Old Testament & Hebrews

Atheist Experience #466: The horrible god of the OT

Atheist Experience #483: Old Testament Gods

You might also want to look into the work of Israel Finkelstein, if he isn't the scholar you're referring to.  A few of his books are on my reading list, particularly The Bible Unearthed: Archaeology's New Vision of Ancient Israel and... and The Quest for the Historical Israel: Debating Archaeology and the H....

Yes, El is described as the chief of Ugratic pantheon and possibly the father of Yahweh, one of his seventy sons. Not all, it seems, but some of El's sons inherited a portion of his peoples, the Jews being the lot of Yahweh. If this is true, Yahweh may have been a historical warrior leader, as some verses of bible suggest. It appears that Israelis worshiped El's pantheon before accepting him as their sole god or what ever he was.

RSS

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service