The Bible Unearthed: Archaeology’s New Vision of Ancient Israel and...

"The historical saga contained in the Bible— from Abraham’s encounter with God and his journey to Canaan, to Moses’ deliverance of the children of Israel from bondage, to the rise and fall of the kingdoms of Israel and Judah— was not a miraculous revelation, but a brilliant product of the human imagination. It was first conceived— as recent archaeological findings suggest— during the span of two or three generations, about twenty-six hundred years ago. Its birthplace was the kingdom of Judah, a sparsely settled region of shepherds and farmers, ruled from an out-of-the-way royal city precariously perched in the heart of the hill country on a narrow ridge between steep, rocky ravines."

Finkelstein, Israel; Silberman, Neil Asher (2002-03-06). The Bible Unearthed: Archaeology's New Vision of Ancient Isreal and the Origin of Sacred Texts (Kindle Locations 86-90). Free Press. Kindle Edition.

"archaeology has produced a stunning, almost encyclopedic knowledge of the material conditions, languages, societies, and historical developments of the centuries during which the traditions of ancient Israel gradually crystallized, spanning roughly six hundred years— from about 1000 to 400 BCE. Most important of all, the textual insights and the archaeological evidence have combined to help us to distinguish between the power and poetry of biblical saga and the more down-to-earth events and processes of ancient Near Eastern history.

Finkelstein, Israel; Silberman, Neil Asher (2002-03-06). The Bible Unearthed: Archaeology's New Vision of Ancient Isreal and the Origin of Sacred Texts (Kindle Locations 135-140). Free Press. Kindle Edition."

Views: 128

Replies to This Discussion

This is the video series based on the book

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t440bxhn1qA&list=PLF6F4CB6DBFD7B...

Sam, I just finished watching these three videos and very much the way it is organized. Thanks. 

Dr. Hector Avalos explains how even the most devoted biblical apologists among archeologists have become "minimalist" for lack of evidence.

Just FYI!

This is the History Channel(2009)  take on the book.  It is alleged the episode is no longer referenced on their website.  SURPRISE!  SURPRISE! 

Sam in WV, thanks for these videos. Lots of interesting information coming out of studies, archeological, sociological, historical and linguistic.

I like Dr. Hector Avalos, especially his video on violence. I'll look it up. 

One of my critics rebuked me for blasphemy, using the usual vile language, that god is a god of peace, love, and brotherhood. 

Why, then do we have this report in the old testament? This does not sound like peace, love and brotherhood to me. It sounds more like prejudice for the intent of occupation of a piece of land. Hardly a noble justification for killing, hatred and community. 

Deuteronomy 20

…16"Only in the cities of these peoples that the LORD your God is giving you as an inheritance, you shall not leave alive anything that breathes. 

17"But you shall utterly destroy them, the Hittite and the Amorite, the Canaanite and the Perizzite, the Hivite and the Jebusite, as the LORD your God has commanded you, 

18”so that they may not teach you to do according to all their detestable things which they have done for their gods, so that you would sin against the LORD your God

Thanks for posting this. I have also been following Prof. Finkelstein's work on Youtube and have found it very enlightening. I was especially interested the political aspects of the Book of Josiah which were written to provide prophetic justification for King Josiah of Judah's bid to annex the wealthy kingdom of Israel. Read in this context of two rival kingdoms, Judah in the south & Israel in the north, all the vitriol hurled against "Israel" throughout Josiah makes sense. Perhaps Spin Doctor is actually the oldest profession.

AACON 2013 Hector Avalos: Religion and Violence, A New Theory for an Old Problem

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

Latest Activity

Joan Denoo replied to James M. Martin's discussion Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Why "Cosmos" Will NOT be Accompanied by Creationist Explanation for...well...the Cosmos
5 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion Finland's Gay Bondage Stamps in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
7 minutes ago
Patricia replied to James M. Martin's discussion Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Why "Cosmos" Will NOT be Accompanied by Creationist Explanation for...well...the Cosmos
10 minutes ago
Idaho Spud replied to James M. Martin's discussion Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Why "Cosmos" Will NOT be Accompanied by Creationist Explanation for...well...the Cosmos
11 minutes ago
Idaho Spud replied to James M. Martin's discussion Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Why "Cosmos" Will NOT be Accompanied by Creationist Explanation for...well...the Cosmos
16 minutes ago
Idaho Spud liked Joan Denoo's photo
27 minutes ago
Sentient Biped replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion Finland's Gay Bondage Stamps in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
33 minutes ago
Idaho Spud commented on Sentient Biped's group Godless in the garden
38 minutes ago
Keith Brian Johnson replied to Luara's discussion Puzzle in real analysis in the group Mathematics
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion Finland's Gay Bondage Stamps in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
1 hour ago
Sentient Biped replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion Finland's Gay Bondage Stamps in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
1 hour ago
Irrelevant People liked Atheist Andrea's discussion Are you open about being an atheist or are you in the closet?
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service