The results of a poll taken in March of 2014 indicate that many Americans doubt scientific theories that the vast majority of the most respected scientists in the world consider all but scientific fact. In particular, most Americans doubt that the Big Bang occurred. The article discusses what religion and politics have to do with this. Per the article:

….About 4 in 10 say they are not too confident or outright disbelieve that the earth is warming, mostly (as) a result of man-made heat-trapping gases, that the Earth is 4.5 billion years old or that life on Earth evolved through a process of natural selection, though most were at least somewhat confident in each of those concepts. But a narrow majority — 51 percent — questions the Big Bang theory.

Those results depress and upset some of America's top scientists, including several Nobel Prize winners, who vouched for the science in the statements tested, calling them settled scientific facts.

"Science ignorance is pervasive in our society, and these attitudes are reinforced when some of our leaders are openly antagonistic to established facts," said 2013 Nobel Prize in medicine winner Randy Schekman of the University of California, Berkeley.

The poll highlights "the iron triangle of science, religion and politics," said Anthony Leiserowitz, director of the Yale Project on Climate Change Communication.

And scientists know they've got the shakiest leg in the triangle….

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/poll-religion-trumps-be...

Tags: Big Bang, Jubinsky, Politics, Religion, Science

Views: 112

Replies to This Discussion

So, 4 in 10 Americans think that they are cleverer (snort) than the scientists. And they know so  'cos the big book effectively tells them so. Who would have thought it could come to this.

I was more optimistic about a rapid and general acceptance of "settled scientific facts" when I was a young scientist than I am now. We need lots of scientists among the top politicians.

Well, the Bible doesn't specifically mention global warming, but the good, godly, Republican talking-heads, who totally are not in the pockets of the oil tycoons, assure them that Jesus would have said that if it had crossed his mind.  Jesus was just too focused on hating gay people ... oh, wait, that must have slipped his mind, too.

Ignorance must truly be bliss!

Many fundies I have read or encountered have no problem with or even embrace the "big bang theory" conceptually. The big issue is dating it.  "How can that be when our book tells us for certain that 'creation' occurred in 4004 BC?"  http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/ussher.htm

The action principle for a large minority of Americans is "my book trumps your science." 

I have learned from observing the forums of science-oriented atheists vs. bible-oriented Christians that information and well defined arguments by the former has no effect on the latter. 

Other forums that critique the Bible as something other than the presumptive axiom esteemed in such high regard by fundie evangelists, I have observed does break down the certitude of some theists (usually lurkers).  I am coming around to thinking that many  theists will not accept science and its methodology until they are confronted by the historical truth about their foundational literature like the buy-bull.  This is why the work of people like Richard Carrier is so important.      

The sad fact is that most Americans are lucky to know their asses from their respective elbows.  This may be because they don't care or they feel like they don't have to know or they suffer severely from the Dunning-Kruger effect.  Regardless of the causation, this means serious trouble.  The world is becoming more complex with every day, as well as more interconnected and interdependent.  In a representative democracy, one would hope that those voting for people and policies would have at least an armchair appreciation for that, but mostly, they don't.  James Madison hoped that knowledge would always govern ignorance, but when the ignorant can't be bothered to inform themselves, yet continue to be empowered to exercise their franchise to vote, the inevitable conclusion becomes the likes of Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachmann, Rick Perry and others like them.

The problem is only made worse by the fact that you can't FORCE a person to act wisely.  We can lead that horse to water all we want.  The horse will choose to drink or not as it wills.

The fear of hellfire and punishment burns deep in the religious mind. To many of them if they accept the truth about the Big Bang or Evolution they will be committing blasphemy. This is the sort of sentiment that was expressed to me by my Catholic father before I came out as an atheist. I explained to him that the official stance of the Catholic Church is to regard Evolution and the Big Bang as scientific fact. And all he could say in response is "I doubt that they are sincere about that". This to me is a resounding message among the religious to the point that it even affects members of the religious groups that are considered more reasonable. Conversation after conversation seems to confirm this. They have memorized phrases like "every knee will bow" and it's created such strong neural pathways in their brain that to deny it creates uncontrollable fear in their minds. Throw that in with the large propaganda campaign from Fox News with their constant fear mongering and everything these people believe gets the reinforcement it needs to become irreversible for many people. This trend towards anti logic has inspired me to get passports for each member of my household. I plan to move to Canada if worse comes to worse. I don't trust the religious mind, specifically one that believes that scientists are involved in some sort of secular conspiracy.

They most likely do but are they tuned into why the big bang is definitely a non event?

The Universe is Electric and although we have heroes none of them has grasped how significant that is. In fact they have robbed those who have proven Electrical origins and made their lives a mess. Once we get back to observation and experiment and trash the mathematical proving of any wild idea, you will see what rises to the top.

http://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/daily-tpod/

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service