Just been reading a fascinating article in the Daily Mail on the latest discoveries regarding the evolution of the turtles shell. New information has been revealed since the discovery last year of the world's oldest turtle fossils in China dating back 220 million years with only a half formed shell on their backs. The previous earliest fossils had fully formed shells and were found in Germany dating from 210 million years ago.

This new discovery provides the missing lnk and indicates that the shells were an outgrowth of the ribs and backbone, and that the undershell was the first to develop, indicating they were aquatic rather than land based.

HERE is the link to the full article.

Tags: evolution, science, turtles

Views: 0

Replies to This Discussion

Excellent. We are glad that you contributed this item.
China is such a huge country with very ancient rocks that its scientists will go on making major finds in the realm of evolution for many centuries into the future.
We were discussing this on Pharyngula and Richard Dawkins site recently.
Beautiful thing eh?
One more transitional fossil, two more gaps in the fossil record. Blah!
Well lets chuck that into the already huge mountain of evidence
I think that mountain is so big that its already unstable. Lets use it to start another mountain.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Joseph P replied to Joe's discussion Atheist TV Channel Will Launch by the End of the Month in the group Atheist News
12 minutes ago
Joseph P replied to Joe's discussion In the Middle East, Some Atheists Fake-Fast During Ramadan To Avoid Detection in the group Atheist News
14 minutes ago
James M. Martin replied to James M. Martin's discussion "I Accepted Jesus and I'm Not Gay Anymore"
30 minutes ago
k.h. ky commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
41 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to Joe's discussion Atheist TV Channel Will Launch by the End of the Month in the group Atheist News
58 minutes ago
Atheist Exile replied to Joe's discussion In the Middle East, Some Atheists Fake-Fast During Ramadan To Avoid Detection in the group Atheist News
1 hour ago
Loren Miller posted a status
"A religion is sometimes the source of happiness...but it is a comfort appropriate for the weak, not for the strong. - Heinlein"
1 hour ago
Luara posted a discussion
1 hour ago
James B Bolton shared Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group on Facebook
1 hour ago
Randall Smith commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
Joe added 4 discussions to the group Atheist News
1 hour ago
BJ Saylor posted a status
"Here is the paper in regards to my last status http://ericsteinhart.com/articles/atheisms.pdf"
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service