In a paper published in the journal, PLoS ONE, scientists at Wageningen University in The Netherlands proposed that eating mealworms is a more sensible way of acquiring protein in the diet than eating chicken, pork or cattle. Per the article:

Compared to a kilogram of edible protein in meat from cows, chickens or pigs, production of the same amount of mealworm protein emits fewer greenhouse gases and requires much less land to grow. The findings support the argument that environmentally conscious eaters may do well to include beetle larvae in their diets. "This study demonstrates that mealworms should be considered a more sustainable source of edible protein," the team writes in a paper published yesterday in the journal PLoS ONE...Among the things that the worm-like larvae have going for them, they don't emit methane. Also, they are prolific. Depending on the species, females release up to 1,500 eggs over a lifetime. Larvae develop quickly and they convert their food into protein efficiently, at a similar rate to chicken but better than pigs and cattle.

http://news.discovery.com/earth/mealworms-beat-beef-as-sustainable-...

Tags: Food, Jubinsky, Mealworms, Protien

Views: 828

Replies to This Discussion

I ,said I would look into it and discuss this with my doctor!!  This exhibits responsibility!!  I will not try without consulting a doctor first !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, I doubt it would do you any harm.  I just doubt it has any actual health benefit.  Too many "magic pills" ou there.   I have several co-workers taking green coffee bean extract to lose weight.  Of course there's no way in hell they will reduce their calories and exercise to lose weight...but paying for a magic pill that will disappoint them like all the other magic pills they've taken??  Sure..they'll do that!  They are all impressed with the weight I've lost over the past 4 years.  But none of them is willing to track their food, eat healthy and work out.  Everyone knows HOW to be healthy....but so few will DO it.  I don't get it.  All I needed was being put on high blood pressure meds in my mid thirties to scare the shit out of me and get me to change my lifestyle. 

I don't ask my doctor about any of it either.  Most doctors knwo very little about nutrition and mine looks like Jabba the Hut in a lab coat.  I see the nurse practitioner for check ups because I can't stand to look at the doctor!  That should tell people there is no magic weight loss pill.....FAT DOCTORS!!!  LOL  If they had a pill to make them thin or healthy....they'd all be thin and healthy! 

I have hep. C, so I have find out about everything.  If it harms the liver, I can't take it.  I am very limited to the meds. I am also Bi-Polar.  I see a Gastroenterologist and a Psychiatrist.  Anything with iron in it I can't take.  I can't take anything with acetametafin (horrible spelling!) or ibuprophin.  Can't eat liver etc., etc. etc.  I can here my doctor saying " Joe, NO MAGIC PILLS!!.  Stick to fruits and vegetables and if you must eat hamburgers, eat soy burgers".  Mix tofu in with your salad!!   Sorry for the pig thing!  It was meant to as a joke!  I have heard that arguably, pigs are the smartest animals, second only to humans.

Pamela, You got off to a shaky start, but you came on strong, AND backed up what you said!!  BRAVO!!!   

Sorry about the hep C, that must be awful.  I know lots of medicines can put a strain on the liver.  It must be quite difficult to balance all that and stay well. 

Even meat eaters need their veggies, and LOTS of them!  My health has improved tremedously and I have learned to love my dark leafy greens.

Thanks for the compliments.  I know most people have no interest in going vegan.  But I take exception when they attack it as a way of life.  It's the best decision I ever made and I look forward to being a happy healthy vegan for the rest of my life!

Are you two legumes and grain-eating vegans? 

When I heard about vegan diets before being vegan myself, their major source of protein was always legumes.  It seemed very boring to me to eat legumes every day!  The various carbs are more varied. 

After I found out about my delayed food allergies - I probably have celiac disease and a lot of people with celiac disease have delayed food allergies to other foods besides gluten grains - I ended up with being vegan basically.  But grain-free and legume-free and without a lot of plant foods I can't eat (nightshades, melons, cherry family, apples, citrus, nuts, etc. etc. etc.)  What really pained me was to quit cocoa!

There aren't a whole lot of foods I'm not allergic to, but the delayed food allergies aren't forever, they have faded in the 10 years I've been gluten-free, so eventually I'll be able to eat a lot of those common foods again, including stereotypical vegan tofu-and-rice meals.  I plan to stay dairy and gluten-free, though. 

Wow, tough break Luara.  I'm lucky to not have any food allergies (so far).  I like beans, grains, legumes, tofu, tempeh, quinoa, and seitan (wheat gluten) for protein.  I try to eat a good variety of foods, focusing on vegetables.  Quinoa is my favorite "grain" since it "brings a lot to the table" nutritionally....and it's yummy!! 

Wow, tough break Luara

Yes, I inherited autoimmune tendencies from my father and allergies from my mother, and it seems that together they are a wicked combination.  I've spent a lot of time over the past 10 years being mentally out of it from some food or inhalant. 

I'm lucky to not have any food allergies

People often don't know when they have delayed food allergies, they're different from the classic kind of allergy, like a peanut allergy making someone's face swell up, that are obvious.  Celiac disease can be silent, and delayed food allergies cause a lot of symptoms that aren't clearly related to the food. 

I was totally knocked for a loop ... I came down sick when I was 43 with various symptoms, I sorted it out mostly with elimination diets followed by food challenges, and found that not only my physical symptoms went away, but a lot of depression and anxiety etc. did too.  It totally changed how it feels to be me!  I had no idea that food could do this. 

Quinoa is my favorite "grain" since it "brings a lot to the table" nutritionally....and it's yummy!!

Amaranth is also very nutritious, lots of protein.  The Incas (I think) loooved toasted amaranth. 

I like amaranth better as a flour, but store-bought amaranth and quinoa flours tastes awful, because the delicate fats soon spoil.  Fresh, the flours are delicious.  So I grind amaranth in a grain mill and make pancakes, sometimes with fruit added, sometimes with spinach or squash.  I add starch to improve the texture, or guar gum might work too. 

Buckwheat (which I'm allergic to :( also makes good pancakes. 

I wonder if Lierre Keith, author of The Vegetarian Myth, had delayed food allergies or perhaps celiac disease.  
The standard kind of vegan diet has a lot of gluten, soy, corn - all major culprits in delayed food allergies.  
By a "delayed food allergy", I mean a kind of food allergy that doesn't show up in skin or blood tests; it involves the immune system; it often has vague symptoms that one doesn't associate with the food, like skin problems, chronic fatigue, hypoglycemia, joint pain.  It may be diagnosed with a hypoallergenic elimination diet followed by food challenges, but many people don't do this, and even if they do, the elimination diet/food challenges process is full of pitfalls, so it may fail.  
People with celiac disease often have reactions like delayed food allergies if they eat gluten after being gluten-free for awhile.  They may also develop delayed food allergies to foods other than gluten grains.  
Many of Lierre Keith's symptoms that she blames on a vegan diet could be from delayed food allergies, like depression, anxiety, "hypoglycemia".  With the hypoglycemia, she doesn't say if she actually had low blood sugar or rather, what's commonly called "hypoglycemia" - jittery feelings, fatigue, etc. after eating "quick" carbs.  
She says she had a lot of depression and anxiety on a vegan diet, and that's mostly what made me think of delayed food allergies and celiac disease, because depression and anxiety is associated with celiac disease.  Anxiety definitely is, and also depression for a number of celiacs I've heard from.  For me, a lot of depression went away, not when I first eliminated grains from my diet, but when I eliminated foods I reacted to after a second elimination diet a couple of years after I went gluten-free (for me the process of finding my delayed food allergies with elimination diets and food challenges took years). 
The degenerative disc disease she has might be associated with celiac disease, see http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/100629081632.htm
Celiac disease is an autoimmune disease, and this article says that IL-7, a kind of cell involved in chronic inflammation in autoimmune disorders, can be involved in degenerative disc disease.

I had "reactive hypoglycemia" for almost 25 years - jittery feelings, hostility, tension after eating carbohydrates, and sometimes fatigue and a spacey feeling later.  That went away after I found my delayed food allergies and stopped eating those foods.  It seemed that the delayed food allergies had messed up my body's response to carbohydrates. 
It sounds terribly likely that someone might go on the classic type of high-grains, high-gluten, high-soy vegan diet, suffer a lot of problems from hidden celiac disease, blame it on veganism in general, develop a whole anti-vegetarian philosophy because of it.
I eat an unusual vegan diet, grain-free, legume-free etc. because of delayed food allergies.  But I manage to do well nutritionally by eating lots of vegetables, and nutritious "grains" like quinoa and amaranth.  

For the vegans, here is an article that might make you rethink the way you eat.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jan/16/vegans-stomach-...

I'm a lot more interested in eating locally -- a lot of our carbon footprint goes into transporting food all over the world, when we could do a lot better eating foods that are produced nearby. In my area, that means yes, eat milk and meat -- cows flourish in the grasslands around here. Bison would, too. Vegetables are more ecologically costly, because they have to be trucked in from California, as are fruits. We are also arid, but cows can eat grass and hay that grew in the spring and dried during the summer. I'm not going to give up fruit and vegetables, even though fruits like bananas and pineapple have to come a long way, but it's THOSE that are the luxury, and contributing to climate destabilization just as much as animals.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service