An international group of experts on cognitive science has asserted that animals, including many that are much different from humans, experience the same degree of consciousness as humans. Per the article:

An international group of prominent scientists has signed The Cambridge Declaration on Consciousness in which they are proclaiming their support for the idea that animals are conscious and aware to the degree that humans are ....What's also very interesting about the declaration is the group's acknowledgement that consciousness can emerge in those animals that are very much unlike humans.... "Consequently, say the signatories, the scientific evidence is increasingly indicating that humans are not unique in possessing the neurological substrates that generate consciousness....The declaration was signed in the presence of Stephen Hawking .... (bold added).

http://news.discovery.com/animals/animals-consciousness-mammals-bir...

Tags: Animals, Consciousness, Jubinsky

Views: 795

Replies to This Discussion

Of course, we are not much different from animals and vice versa.  Heck, we are animals.

Right Lillie - we are animals.

« L'homme n'est qu'un animal plus parfait que les autres et qui raisonne mieux. » de Napoléon Bonaparte

Plus parfait? Non. Plus évolutif adapté? Oui.

It is obvious that even among Homo Sapiens there is great variability in how brains are hardwired. Other species with highly evolved brains evolved to meet the needs of their environments and although equally intelligent and conscious, in terms of understanding each other, we may as well be on different planets. So, what makes us think that we will be able to relate in any meaningful way with beings from other worlds? The odds against that are immense.

Think of that when you want to buy meat...

Yeah, make sure you cook it in a tasty enough dish that the animal will approve.

How sensitive.

Sensitive, no.  Amused, yes.

And the trees and grain too, of course.

http://scienceray.com/biology/botany/do-trees-talk-some-scientists-...

We better just eat people, I hear they taste like Pork anyway, so, bacon.

The article ... at least that bit which John pasted ... gives far too vague of a statement of kinship.  There's a wide range of consciousness, most of which doesn't come close to approximating our own in breadth or depth.  Insects possess neurons, but for most or them, their neural processing is so simplistic that I think they're less likely to be conscious than is the computer on which I'm typing this.

If you want to talk about dolphins and some mollusks, you've got a completely different discussion.

Chris tried to take it a step further, and I think her post demonstrates the danger of making statements that are too broad, as this one is.

I feel no sympathy for the chicken that I just ate, earlier this evening. Chickens are stupid and seem to be little more than a vaguely complex series of responses to stimuli.  Chickens aren't high enough on the scale for me to give a damn.  The most you can say for them is that they use a similar set of tools, but that doesn't necessarily lead to a comparable end result.

A few weeks ago, I slaughtered a few colonies of ants, without a second thought, because they annoyed me.  I place that little value in both the existence of an individual ant and that of its queen.  As long as we're not wiping out a species of ant, I don't care.

So you thought about it; that's all I asked. I didn't tell you what to do.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service