Using artificially manufactured DNA that does not exist in nature scientists from The Scripp Research Institute (TSRI) in La Jolla, CA have for the first time created bacteria that does not exist in nature. They did so by adding the artificially manufactured DNA to E. coli bacteria. Per the article:

"Life on Earth in all its diversity is encoded by only two pairs of DNA bases, A-T and C-G," Romesberg explained in an institute news release. "And what we've made is an organism that stably contains those two plus a third, unnatural pair of bases."....The cell chosen by the TSRI team was the common E. coli bacterium, and into it they inserted what they considered to be the best unnatural DNA pairing they could construct: a combination of two molecules called "d5SICS" and "dNaM". After leaping through a series of highly complex technical problems, the study authors finally managed to pull off their goal: the fashioning on a half-synthetic organism that could actually replicate its unnatural self as long as scientists continuously supplied it with the necessary molecular material....Romesberg and his colleagues discuss their handiwork -- funded in part by the U.S. National Institutes of Health -- in the May 7 online edition of Nature.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/articles/2014/05/07/scientists...

Tags: Biology, DNA, Jubinsky, Life, Organisms

Views: 98

Replies to This Discussion

Long ago imagine and expected, but, first time achieved.

Excellent. My evil humanist plans of curing all disease, extending life, and making it more comfortable for all mankind are finally at hand!!!

Didn't Craig Venter do something very similar to this 3 years ago?

Venter is certainly very accomplished in the field but I'm not sure he used artificial DNA that did not exist in nature. The articles about the TSRI work are calling it a first.

Putting this story on Facebook

Good!

This is a wonderful scientific achievement and John, we rely on you to keep reporting such wonderful stuff.

I'm glad you like my posts  Madhukar Kulkami. Maybe scientists will be able to develop new organisms that fight disease using the technology.

Sure, they mention Frankenstein but what are the scientists going to do with a half-synthetic organism that can replicate itself if the scientists continuously supply it with the necessary molecular material ?

Some of the 60 comments are hilarious !

I had a pretty good laugh at some of those comments as well.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service