Suppose, just suppose that science finally finds the god! If this happens, then how will you recognize him to be god? Will you ask him to perform miracles? Will you ask him how he created the universe? Will you tell him that you are an atheist who did not believe in him? Will you ask him questions that Epicurus and Shelley asked? 

After you have strained your imagination this way, do you really believe that science can some day truly discover god?

Views: 327

Replies to This Discussion

I've thought about this as well fairly recently. What could convince me of God's existence? Initially I thought that nothing could, but one could argue that I'm just as closed-minded as dedicated theists. That's a good point, though I'd disagree based on the rationality I've applied to reach my position.

Miracles wouldn't cut it. I'd suspect trickery or I'd mistrust my own senses before a miracle would convince me of the divine. (People have pointed out that, hypothetically, a "miracle" could simply be an application of an area of science currently unknown, and thus be entirely natural. Relying on such thinking to disprove a perceived miracle is the "appeal to ignorance" logical fallacy. Remembering the possibility of a natural explanation is worth bearing in mind, but by definition that cannot prove anything.)

I've thought of a few specific possibilities. Replicable and reliable demonstrations of God's influence due to prayers would be one. If every time or if the vast majority of times that many people (or even one particularly devout person) prayed about something, if that prayer was clearly answered, that would be suggestive, though not proof. The prayer would need to be specific and unambiguous (none of this "God always answers prayers -- but his answer may be 'yes,' 'no,' or 'wait'"). Another possibility is replicable and reliable prophecies of the future. Again, these would have to be specific and unambiguous. (That means, incidentally, that the vast majority of the Old Testament prophecies in the Christian Bible wouldn't count, even if they had been written before the fact.)

I can't simply state that if such demonstrations existed I would be convinced of God's existence, but they would make me stop and seriously reevaluate my beliefs. Such demonstrations would have to stand up to the rigors of science; otherwise we'd be left with mere anecdotal evidence of the supernatural -- which we already have in abundance (and in conflict) regarding almost every god, religion, and cult leader in history.

If somehow science discovered or proved God's existence, I'd probably ask him why he made it so damnably hard. If God exists, he's pulled off the most successful deception in, literally, the history of the universe.

To me, the concept of science finding god is up there with creating a squared circle or some other equally illogical construct.  Science is about rationality, reason and objective understanding.  Every definition of god I have heard goes to myth, magic and irrational modes of thought.  There might be beings out there who are immensely powerful and possessed of abilities we don't as yet have, but the fact is that those abilities will be based on the laws of physics, just some of those we haven't discovered or fully understood yet.

The idea of god is like the idea of miracles or of magic.  They're concepts supposedly capable of going outside of the laws of physics in order for someone to get what they want.  There's no thought to the impact or downstream consequences of violating physical law, just that "I want this and I want it NOW."  That kind of immature, petulant desire is as dangerous as a miracle or the god who could give rise to it is.  I've talked about the danger of violating cause-and-effect before, and my attitude still holds, about miracles and about god.  Neither are desirable from where I stand, but if they do exist, they had better be following the rules.

I suppose that if science ever did discover a god that actually exists, and can be positively demonstrated to exist, I would ask why he/she/it  did such a piss poor job of creation?  I mean look at the human body, just for example!  What a cobbled together thing it is!  I work in dentistry, and I can tell you that if we were designed in the image of a god, wisdom teeth should have been left out.  It is the same for various other parts of our anatomy.  Our backs hurt bedause we walk upright, and weren't "designed" to do so.  The list goes on, but suffice to say, if I were god, I'd be ashamed of having done such a poor job.

My one atheist friend here in Pune, India, recently said that if he were to meet the god after his death, he would tell the god that he has done a mess of this world but has done the job of hiding himself well!

It's possible to find a superior/more powerful creature/entity, but science can't find "god" as "god" to most religious people is more of a moral entity and morals are an individual aspect. Whether or not something created the universe is irrelevant. No supreme being could dictate what I think, do, or feel. Therefor, there can be no god to me.

Does that make sense?

.....to most religious people is more of a moral entity and morals are an individual aspect.

To most religious people god is a personal god who answers their prayers. They also believe him to be the one who has created the world. I do not think that being religious means having good morals. I do not think that many religious people look to god for moral lessons.

No.

There is no god Madhukar.

No John, there is no god, so I said just suppose....

Troll la la la... Come on bud, we've asked you before, this is not a forum for this sort of debate.

Fine Marc, we'll move on to the next debate then...What if scientists find proof that Pokemon actually exist? Which one would you choose?

And for the record what I just did wasn't trolling, it's being an ass ^_-

If science discovers god, it is the reasonable and responsible thing to do to examine the evidence, ask questions, test the discovery, if not myself, read what other scientists say. I can't even imagine what would happen to make god discoverable. He has had all these billions of years to do so, and so far all we have is verbal stories later transcribed into writing and anecdotal evidence. These were tribal sheep herders in the poorest part of the planet, did not know astronomy or chemistry, or any of the basic sciences. 

One way I would believe god revealed would be if he appeared in Israel/Palestine and taught them how to solve their problems so that all would flourish and destroy all their weapons. Highly unlikely. 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service