Rick Perry, evangelicals and evolution as ‘a theory’s that’s out th...

Rick Perry is anti-evolution.

... questions for Perry like “do you believe in evolution?”

“It’s a theory that’s out there,” Perry told the child. “It’s got some gaps in it. In Texas we teach both creationism and evolution.”

Perry went on:

[To the boy]: “I figure you’re smart enough to figure out which one is right.”

During Perry’s time as governor the Texas Board of Education has faced intense national scrutiny for its re-framing of controversial subjects including evolution. In 2009, with Perry’s support, a bloc of social conservative school board members was able to change the state’s educational guidelines on evolution “to encourag(e) schools to scrutinize ‘all sides’ of scientific theory, a move some creationists hailed as a victory,”...

Tags: anti-evolution politicians

Views: 159

Replies to This Discussion

"Gravity" is a theory that's "out there"

Perry's brain is a "Theory With Gaps."

If you want to talk about "out there," Perry himself is WAY "out there!"

Huge gaps.

It's worse than that.  By saying that they teach both Creationism and Evolution, Rick Perry was saying that his state is in direct violation of every Court decision on the subject, in the last 30 or 40 years.

I think evolution is a fact for all practical purposes.  A scientific theory is well-confirmed knowledge.  It makes me angry that religious psychotics define theory as unproven or speculative.

I think it's a problem with the definition of the word "theory".

In science, it's a well-tested, demonstrated, repeatable, explanation for how something works, complete with explanations of mechanisms, and things like mathematics equations, or chemical reactions. It's the pinnacle of scientific assertions - well above "hypothesis". All scientific knowledge is subject to refinement or redirection if other, better knowledge, testing, or explanations come to be known.

In popular parlance, it's a half-baked idea that somebody came up with 5 minutes ago, or thought of while under the influence of a chemical last week, that can be an explanation for something. It's not repeatable, it's not testable by any means, it might fly in the face of other tests that could be/have been done.

The religious nuts use the popular parlance definition. They criticize science for refining their knowledge base because "science keeps changing its mind". Yes, if given sufficient evidence. This is unlike religion that had dictated to them everything anyone needed to know in the bronze age.

If they say evolution is "just a theory", I feel like saying, "Gravity is just a theory". You could try walking off a cliff or out a 20th floor window, don't believe that "theory", and God would certainly save you.

(P)Rick Perry. The man who wants Texas to secede from the country he hates - America. And loves the country he hates so much, he ran for President. I shouldn't say too much about him, coming from Illinois myself. Where our last two governors are serving time in a federal prison.

Hey! Here's a thought. Maybe this treasonous, ignorant moron could join Ryan and Blagojevich. The US Bureau of Prison's own version of the 3 Stooges.

http://www.atheistnexus.org/forum/topics/victory-for-evolution-in-t...
Well despite Perry evolution won in Texas - see my discussion.
That's the problem with xtian politicians!

Perry, Creationism/ Intelligent Design, a "Theory with Canyons"!. 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service