Society is basic in human evolution we have developed special brain for society.
Normal human have a very sophisticated social brain, every human watch unconsciously every responses from his surrounding and respond in way that his behavior makes no conflict with his society or he will face the rejection which was fatal threat in the past because in our evolution every one rejected died alone or killed by beasts and don't passed his genes and every one feel the pain from rejection reformed and join the society, survived and passed his gene.
Human feel real pain from rejection and no normal human want to be rejected, this pain act as natural reformatory, it produced by chemicals in our brain.
So why people commit crimes that make them rejected by their society.
The religion explanation for this is the evil and the satan.
But there is no such things called evil.
So why a human bring pain to himself, Unless he feel no pain and his social brain is disabled, or he is not aware of what he is doing is distractive. Or what we call mental disorder.
So if there is serial killer who enjoy torture his victims, This is not because of evil it's because of malfunction of his brain or mental disorder.
"A mental disorder, also called a mental illness or psychiatric disorder, is a mental or behavioral pattern or anomaly that causes either suffering or an impaired ability to function in ordinary life (disability), and which is not developmentally or socially normative. Mental disorders are generally defined by a combination of how a person feels, acts, thinks or perceives. This may be associated with particular regions or functions of the brain or rest of the nervous system, often in a social context."
Wikipedia

But not every criminal have mental disorder, Crimes can be committed by normal people if they consider what they are doing are not crimes, and that because their society approved these crimes.

if there is a crime that means two possible ways either the the one who committed this crime have mental disorder or the society which he get his value from it do not criticized this crime or even praised the crime - like one who born in a mafia family.
Religion praised many criminal act because it was made by ignorant and people who have mental disorders.
So these people who have mental disorder insert their ill behaviors into the societies using religion to fool our original social system.
religion distort society by these codes and everyone come after will not recognize these distortion, just like the the cell which copy virus RNA in its original DNA without knowing it will destroy the body.
We always setup our behavior and tune it to our surrounding to avoid rejection. So if these societies are infected by religion all our behavior will automatically adjusted to the religion, and our social brain follow these instructions.
People do not follow religion directly they follow the society and if society infected people blindly follow the infection codes.
If you born in Christian family you probably became Christian and if you born in Muslim family you became Muslim, it's just like biological DNA copied from parents.

Religion like HIV virus impossible to be cured, and once it copy itself in a society it will use the members of these society to copy itself to the descendants and spread around and there is no way to to remove it.
The only way -like HIV - is to make it less harmful, by deactivate the dangerous codes.

The conclusion is that religious people do not have mental disorder but they follow codes of people who have mental disorders, luckily not every religious take these codes seriously and most codes are inactive but in special circumstances all the codes could be activated and you can see live example in ISIS.
ISIS is like bringing a dinosaur alive instead of being in fossils.
If we investigate the holy books we will find it written by people who we consider now have serious kinds of mental disorders which are embedded in stories and in every line the writers are trying to justify their ill behaviors.

Views: 556

Replies to This Discussion

In the context he was using it, "should" means "would".  It's an English usage.

See http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/should_2

Don't would on yourself?

Thanks for taking the conversation to the next level, Tom. It sounds like you've found something that we can all agree on: let's not replicate the bad habits of religions. Let's not use guilt and shame to effect change, as you say. 

Am I the only person who noticed the atrocious English in this forum? After I got over the gross misuse of particles however I do agree. Religion is somewhat of an infectious disease. I wouldn't call it a virus though because virus's can't be cured. However it's likely bacterial and education is the most effective antibiotic.

The virus analogy is because the "religion virus" commandeers the host's psychology to replicate itself. Viruses aren't independently alive, bacteria are. 

There are antiviral drugs :)

Yes but most antiviral drugs are effective at preventing not combating the disease. And the ones that do combat the disease do not cure it they just treat it.

Also I understand the analogy I was just adding my own 2 cents :)

Zachary, you're not the only ..., but few people do well in both science and literature.

And poets use metaphor gooder.

"but few people do well in both science and literature". I don't completely disagree with that. However we are not talking about literature here. We are talking about communication. There are loads of people who do well both in science and communicating their thoughts. This article broke grammar rules that most 1st graders could correct. It's one thing if it was written by someone who uses English as a second language (which is the impression that I got when reading it). It's something totally different if this was written by a native born American, Canadian, Aussie, or Brit.

I do get the impression though that the person who wrote this doesn't have very good English. It actually looks like it's been Google translated from another language. I don't want to make a big deal out of it I was just surprised that out of 55 comments I'm the only one that said anything about it.

Yeah I normally read these from my phone so I don't normally bother clicking on peoples names. Like I said I was just surprised that out of the whole discussion no one said anything. Normally blogs are filled with people who will condemn you to subhuman status for the slightest typo so I was a little surprised no one spoke up lol.

I think Atheist Nexus is generally a little more polite than the internet in general.  We have our moments, but on average, you know?

It's one thing if it was written by someone who uses English as a second language

That's clearly the case.  Look at Rick Springfield's country in his profile.  Likely Arabic is his native language. 

Not many of us would have a great writing style in Arabic!  So let's give him a break.

With grammar and spelling, it's usually better to show by example anyway.  I bet one thing Rick Springfield is getting from this forum is learning English by immersion :)

RSS

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service