Hello everyone. Thank you for welcoming me to the group.

On Jan. 19 I started a discussion in the "Water Cooler" section of the forum here on atheistnexus.org. There haven't been any responses yet, and although it hasn't been a terribly long time, I thought I would inquire with the members of this group, since I was invited, with some questions.

What's the etiquette around these parts for "bumping" a message if it falls by the wayside? Is this acceptable at all? If so, is 11 days a sufficient enough wait time before one could feel okay commenting on his/her own message in order to bring it back in front of the community's eyes?

Maybe the questions I asked were too personal, uninteresting, or offensive. Maybe you could comment on this.

Here was the body of text:

Title: Emotional magnitude...

Among those of you who have at some point in your lives held religious beliefs to any extent, have you ever found the full acceptance of mortality since to bring with it a stronger emotional response? For instance, do you find the feeling of terror and sadness that accompanies watching a documentary about the holocaust, say, to be exceedingly more harsh since you've become disillusioned? Or do you feel a much greater need to tell your loved ones how much they mean to you? This is something that I'm experiencing, and at times it can be overwhelming. I'm not saying I remember these feelings being weak or short-lived when I was "a believer", but they feel orders of magnitude greater now. I'm curious if I'm not alone. Any comments are welcome.

As my own critic, I shouldn't have worded it in such a way that assumed the reader would have "fully accepted mortality". I'll state here now, though, that when my mind ventures down that extension of logic, I sometimes feel a heavier emotional weight, and that that was all I was trying to convey.

One final thing. Please tell me if this group is not the place for this type of discussion! =)

Anyone's comments on any of this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Views: 64

Replies to This Discussion

I think that thread would be short~ "because there is zero empirical evidence to support their existence." /thread

WTH!!! You sure read a lot into a few words, don't you!! Just saying (especially this particular sub group of Atheist Nexus) bases facts on hard scientific evidence. What you saw is what you saw and I totally respect that. A few of my very close friends believe in spirits/ghosts and I respect them very much and have VERY friendly conversations about it. For that matter I'm close friends with many religious/spiritual people as well.

As well, my mind has been changed on many issues by, for example, shown real evidence or directed to various websites that hold up to scrutiny. So if what you're saying is fact, as a person who doesn't know you and as I asked previously for (which at the time I thought was politely, and I sincerely apologize if you thought otherwise) I'd like to see the actually scientific proof. If the only proof is what you saw, then that is EXACTLY what YOU saw and I believe you saw it. Without me seeing it or it being documented though, I don't know what it is. For example, if I see a young crocodile up here in Canada where it gets to -40 C I'm not going to expect to be believed unless I get pics, videos, etc. I'll know what I saw though, and if someone "proves" to me otherwise, so be it.

And what's up with "I must be a psycho who is also delusional" or "stupid head" in quotes?? I never said any such thing! If that's where your mind goes when someone questions or tries to get more info from you...like I said in another post, I really find people interesting and love to find out more about them.

That may sound contradictory to my "warning" about such talk on this site without outside evidence, but I've witnessed some get torn apart VERY badly on this site for that type of stuff. In fact on this particular issue. I DID NOT agree with what others did to the poor lady verbally, but it happens on this site.

At any rate, I'm very sure you're a very nice person, just ?maybe? a little sensitive or ?young?, so I truly apologize if anything I wrote offended you. Because of that, I shall leave this issue alone now, clicking the "stop following" icon, and wish you all the best. (^_^)   

:huh: That's not how I expected that to go, :hrm:shrug::brat: I'm not the one who started the conversation with sorry and ended it with nanner nanner I'm not listening :thumb::nose:

I don't have links because I don't per se research this ..stuff ..I'll email a friend and see what I can get. The fact that all the currently funded research projects are eTainment funded ..does cast them into one step ahead of mine in repuatability, but ..then again you may underestimate my scientific repuatability.. If I get some quality analysis, or even a well presented testimonial website (not darren brown or john edwards) I will start a thread :smile: … [small] try and be jubulant and mumble mumble mumble [/small]

There is a group (search hounds) for people who like to do research, and people who need research done, btw.  I just started it........... only me in there, but I loooovvveee to research shit, so yeah, fyi.

(btw, I'm obviously out of the loop with interweb speak, but you type like a schizophrenic lulz)

LoL, SheaShow!

Your profile said google me, so I did!

www.myspace.com/ifyousheashow

Found this interesting

Details

• Here for: Networking
  • Hometown: Lawrence, KS
  • Orientation: Straight
  • Height: 6' 0"
  • Religion: Christian - other
  • Zodiac Sign: Virgo
  • Smoke / Drink: Yes / Yes

Wish I had your occupation, though

I'm going to point you to Carl Sagan's "The Demon-Haunted World". The human mind is indeed fallible, and business people know and love this.
Yes, I agree, Sagan has a way of understanding even the most bazaar and making sense of the event, or why people believe such things. Kind of like he looks with compassion but interprets with wisdom. A gentle and firm skeptic.
I do not like the "paranormal" shows. They add nothing to my understanding of people's experiences.

When individuals tell me their experiences and dreams, I am interested and listen. Sometimes they sound foolish, other times, they reveal something that isn't being revealed otherwise. Let me give you a personal example. I had my mother's memorial service in my home and while preparing food, there was a tap on my shoulder attracting my attention toward the dining room. My mother stood quietly watching me attending to the tasks. I stopped what I was doing and looked at her for ... perhaps a few seconds. Then she was gone. I realized I missed her. Was she a ghost? Was she a figment of my imagination? I don't know and I really don't need to know. I know I miss her.

Thought I'd add one more thing. For me, death itself has never been as worrisome as the people I leave behind. I'm coming from the perspective of a father here, so more so when my two boys were little. They're now older and one has just left the nest and the other will be soon, but still the bigger concern if anything were to happen.

Deep concern for others seems to me to be one of the best temperers of mental strength. As a father, it is your duty to do everything you can for your children. I do not have children, but I think I've felt something similar with my feelings toward my family and friends. I would imagine it could be many-fold with caring for children, though, because they cannot fend for themselves yet.

Rudy, I feel as you, as a mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother.  Watching my children parent their children and my granddaughter parenting her sons gives me great hope for a future we dream about.  We leave them with terrible debts and constant warring.  It feels so funny when I hear one of them, from any generation, say the words that I said to my children when they were growing up.  I guess my immortality will be in their memories of me. 

Death, for me, holds valuable images of being changed in energy form to the "stuff of stars", as Sagan sayed.  I find that concept profoundly comforting.  Whatever I have said or done, is what is.  I can't change it.  All I can do about my regrets is express my sorrow for being so unkind and do my best to live with compassion.  

I find my sons and daughter do the same.  It feels good. 

I guess my immortality will be in their memories of me.

This is a concept I've heard before, and I find it beautiful.

Oddly, I often feel a brief moment of kinship when I read well-articulated writing written by someone deceased. If their ideas seem plausible, my mind gives them consideration from the point of digestion on. Their ideas become part of my reasoning and I carry them with me, passing on to others at pertinent times how I've crunched them.

I honestly can't say that I feel this only when the writer is deceased, but when they are I think it might shake me more into realizing the reality that I'm feeling a connection with something inanimate, that is, text.

Death, for me, holds valuable images of being changed in energy form to the "stuff of stars"

But Joan, you already are the stuff of stars. So don't wait to celebrate ;)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service