Hello everyone. Thank you for welcoming me to the group.

On Jan. 19 I started a discussion in the "Water Cooler" section of the forum here on atheistnexus.org. There haven't been any responses yet, and although it hasn't been a terribly long time, I thought I would inquire with the members of this group, since I was invited, with some questions.

What's the etiquette around these parts for "bumping" a message if it falls by the wayside? Is this acceptable at all? If so, is 11 days a sufficient enough wait time before one could feel okay commenting on his/her own message in order to bring it back in front of the community's eyes?

Maybe the questions I asked were too personal, uninteresting, or offensive. Maybe you could comment on this.

Here was the body of text:

Title: Emotional magnitude...

Among those of you who have at some point in your lives held religious beliefs to any extent, have you ever found the full acceptance of mortality since to bring with it a stronger emotional response? For instance, do you find the feeling of terror and sadness that accompanies watching a documentary about the holocaust, say, to be exceedingly more harsh since you've become disillusioned? Or do you feel a much greater need to tell your loved ones how much they mean to you? This is something that I'm experiencing, and at times it can be overwhelming. I'm not saying I remember these feelings being weak or short-lived when I was "a believer", but they feel orders of magnitude greater now. I'm curious if I'm not alone. Any comments are welcome.

As my own critic, I shouldn't have worded it in such a way that assumed the reader would have "fully accepted mortality". I'll state here now, though, that when my mind ventures down that extension of logic, I sometimes feel a heavier emotional weight, and that that was all I was trying to convey.

One final thing. Please tell me if this group is not the place for this type of discussion! =)

Anyone's comments on any of this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Views: 57

Replies to This Discussion

You are so right. We have a lot to celebrate. Thanks for reminding me.

Yes I hear what you're saying. As I said before, personally I really have no problems with the "there's nothing afterward" idea. As do most atheists I believe, shown by (sorry obfuscate, but you did elude to that possibility in your opening statement) the lack of interest on this particular topic. So comforting wouldn't be the right term for me. More, "comfortable with it", as I have neither positive or negative feelings of death itself.

Now that being said, what I find more interesting, is peoples thoughts and feelings on the issue and how the brain works. I don't mean that to sound cold, very much the opposite. I just love to learn about others and the way they feel. The physical aspect of how the brain actually operates, to me, just logically goes with it. I very much enjoyed the book "How we decide" by Jonah Lehrer. It delves into the way we think, and how the brain works. Very fascinating stuff.

PS. Yes, my wife does say I'm way too logical sometimes (^_-)     

No need to apologize, Rudy; and I don't find it cold whatsoever that you take interest in analyzing the human mind in its emotional and thought processes. I think I can say I'm right there with you on that one. It leaves me awestruck thinking that such experience could come about by way of masses of assemblies of molecules.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the idea of being "comfortable" with death. For me, the great majority of my life included thoughts about an afterlife, so I think it's simply the case that I haven't had a great deal of time to come to terms properly. I don't think there's any way to speed this up really, besides taking a bit of extra time to explore the ramifications and mull them over.

It seems likely to me that obtaining solace during certain trying times through thoughts of an afterlife has become reflexive for me because of years of patterning. So to consciously unearth something that's deep-seated may bring with it a bit of difficulty. This is just a guess --a bit of psychoanalysis on myself =).

But this doesn't address the increase of emotion I feel with certain thoughts. For instance, to use the example of the holocaust again, there was a time in my life where I felt anger, grief and empathy when thinking about it, but I still had the notion that the heinously tortured victims' souls were going to make their way to paradise in the end. Taking that last bit away changed a lot. The degree of anger, grief and empathy shot up, what felt like 50-fold. I mean, it felt completely unbearable.

It hasn't been just events as severe as the holocaust, though. Subtler forms of corruption, malicious intentions, injustice, etc., spark a stronger reaction in me now because I've realized the preciousness of time.

I find a shot of Canadian whiskey or vodka helps too (^_-). Which brings up another point. Humor, I find helps. Of course it does depend who you're talking to, but...

For example, my wife's grandmother just passed away a couple weeks ago. She had just had a stroke and was in the hospital paralyzed to the point where she couldn't talk or even blink! It was pretty bad. My wife went in to see her despite the fact she didn't know what to do or say, so she just went to visit/talk hoping her grandmother could understand her. At some point during when my wife was talking to her, she past away. When she came home, she told me and our 18 year-old boy what happened. Our son's response was, "boy, that's the first time I've ever heard of anyone actually boring someone to death." Despite being such a sad time, my wife cracked up laughing. It really was quite funny and helped (^_^).

Absolutely Rudy, and that is a great story.  A sense of humor and irony are absolutely essential and I always say that without them you are finished.  Humor and Johnnie Walker Black Label.
At the risk of coming off as an unrelenting troll, perhaps a certain mind trick?

Like 'live life everyday' or whatever, imagine everyday is the last chance you have to make a positive impact on someone. Tomorrow something could happen. Something glorious like a rapture (hey who knows right) maybe something terrible (world war, a mass natural disaster, alien invasion) or something entierly weird! Maybe you meet an amazing man from england who is doing something remarkably interesting and you spend the next two years terribly worked up by starting a pub in australia. Who knows what awesome things tomorrow might bring! Make everything you do count! That might speed some things up ;)
I wanted to thank everyone for their replies. This is a discussion that could definitely rage on. I'm open to this, but there hasn't been much activity here in a while --which is okay. The summary of my intent of the first post was to see what sense of community could be found here. I've been happy with the way things unfolded. I wasn't simply pacified or told "it will be okay", but was instead engaged and offered the chance to pick some thoughts apart with you all. Thanks again.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service