Question About The Pleasure Center Of The Brain

I have been googling in vain.  Maybe someone with a scientific background knows the answer to this:

Has there any research been done concerning individual differences in the discriminative sensitivity and perceptivity of the pleasure center to physical stimulation compared with non-physical, immaterial, emotional and intellectual stimulation?   

I am speculating, that hedonists and epicureans are innately different in the responses of their pleasure centers.   But speculating is not satisfactory, I need to find out more.  

Tags: brain, center, epicureanism, hedonism, pleasure

Views: 51

Replies to This Discussion

If there hasn't been any such research done, I'm sure there soon will be.

But consider the problems that researchers will have to deal with. They will have to find the parts of the body that are able to perceive those (and maybe other) kinds of stimulation. They will also have to find the paths the signals follow from those sensors to the parts of the brain that can interpret those signals and inform the perhaps different pleasure centers.

Further, given the resistance of Xianity and other religions to pleasure in the present, the researchers might want to delay reporting their findings, as Charles Darwin delayed reporting his findings.

Finally, having read your posts asserting differences between hedonists and epicureans, I wonder if you will use any such findings to assert that the former differ qualitatively from the latter.

Some years ago a researcher claimed the brains of homosexuals differed from the brains of heterosexuals. Concerns arose that people might use the knowledge to alter the brains of fetuses to assure the birth of fewer homosexuals.

"But consider the problems that researcher will have to deal with."

Would it really be so difficult to do studies with a questionnaire about what people subjectively enjoy most, and then make a brain scan, while people were getting either physical stimulation by for example eating delicious food or emotional stimulation by reading a good book, looking at a painting or listening to their favorite music?  

One example is overeating.   Storing fat on the body was a survival advantage, as long as food supply was irregular and insufficient.    Now following the same instincitve urge causes some people to become obese.   I remember seeing a documentary about a research, focusing on the question, why some people do not get obese.   But they compared the differences between people's metabolism.  

It would be interesting to compare people's reaction to the amount of stimulation of the pleasure center between those, who are overweight because they indulge with pleasure when eating with those, who are not overweight, maybe because they are getting intellectually stimulated and are just not being attracted so much by food.
"Finally, having read your posts asserting differences between hedonists and epicureans, I wonder if you will use any such findings to assert that the former differ qualitatively from the latter."

There are two different levels.   On the descripitve level, I do define epicureans as persons, who intrinisically live in accordance with the lifestyle suggested by the philosoper Epicurus and realized by his garden community.  They choose this life style, because it is the way, they feel most happy, content, satisfied, it is their choice by their personality.  
People, who live as if they were epicureans, but do this by extrinsic reasons, especially religion, are not.   Nor are people, who appear to be no hedonists by suffering from anhedonia.  

This lead me to the scientific level of this question, how intrinisc epicureanism is related to innate specifics of the brain.   The pleasure center just seems to be the obvious place to look at but here I have not found any scientific evidence.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

James M. Martin posted discussions
13 minutes ago
Joseph P replied to Joe's discussion Atheist TV Channel Will Launch by the End of the Month in the group Atheist News
21 minutes ago
Joseph P replied to Joe's discussion In the Middle East, Some Atheists Fake-Fast During Ramadan To Avoid Detection in the group Atheist News
23 minutes ago
James M. Martin replied to James M. Martin's discussion "I Accepted Jesus and I'm Not Gay Anymore"
39 minutes ago
k.h. ky commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
50 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to Joe's discussion Atheist TV Channel Will Launch by the End of the Month in the group Atheist News
1 hour ago
Atheist Exile replied to Joe's discussion In the Middle East, Some Atheists Fake-Fast During Ramadan To Avoid Detection in the group Atheist News
1 hour ago
Loren Miller posted a status
"A religion is sometimes the source of happiness...but it is a comfort appropriate for the weak, not for the strong. - Heinlein"
1 hour ago
Luara posted a discussion
1 hour ago
James B Bolton shared Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group on Facebook
1 hour ago
Randall Smith commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
Joe added 4 discussions to the group Atheist News
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service