Tags: life, origin, research, science

Views: 10

Replies to This Discussion

Sometimes it is comical how far science reporting is behind actual science. Thermal vents have solidly been in the running since at least 2003.
This idea has been batted around before, but needed more data to back it up. I remember a number of people considering life on deep sea heat plumes and the chemistry involved. They pointed out that those forms could get started even if the Earth is completely iced over as we now know it was for a fair amount of time. The young sun used to be weaker, so a statistical argument is enough to suggest an early, deeper origin or multiple origins.

There was another version I heard long ago. The earliest life may have started deep in the rocks and not right above them in the deep ocean. Water gets into the rocks in a number of ways and the chemistry still works. Think about the true extremophiles and consider the possibilities for an earlier, slower, protected start. Who needs a UV shield or abundant water then? 8)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

James M. Martin replied to Scot Hinson's discussion Suicide ?!?
4 minutes ago
Freethinker31 replied to Nick Bottom's discussion Solicitors, go away
13 minutes ago
booklover replied to Nick Bottom's discussion Solicitors, go away
33 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to dr kellie's discussion what boobs are good for in the group Hang With Friends
39 minutes ago
Visvakarman Svetasvatara-Upanish replied to Visvakarman Svetasvatara-Upanish's discussion Carl Sagan's Cosmos
41 minutes ago
Grinning Cat replied to Nick Bottom's discussion Solicitors, go away
45 minutes ago
Amanda Ashcraft posted a video
My Loot Crate just made my day today. Small little pick me ups right when I need one. :) https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10203923636523049&l=6942591917367135588
1 hour ago
sflmac replied to Nick Bottom's discussion Solicitors, go away
1 hour ago
Grinning Cat commented on Pete Matthews's status
1 hour ago
Joseph P replied to Rick Springfield's discussion Religion the virus of society in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to Nick Bottom's discussion Solicitors, go away
1 hour ago
Joseph P commented on Dr. Terence Meaden's group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service