The move toward American Theocracy by the empowered evangelical 'elite' in the US has made it almost impossible for an atheist or non-christian to be elected to office.  Schools are having their curriculum undermined by creationist who wish to revise history, remove evolution from science, and prevent teaching sexual health and pregnancy prevention.  Atheist fear reprisals for not being christian and are often discriminated against at work, socially, and most especially in the military. American as a "Christian Nation" is not a free nation or an ethical one.

Please- What ideas do you have on combating this most dangerous decline in American intellectual and social standards? I'm especially interested in ideas from outside the US.  Whatever you wish to add.

Views: 115

Replies to This Discussion

I left the Democratic Party for the Greens when they sold out to Corporate money. I don't believe we have an actual Democracy any more, just a facade. Republicorp has taken control, not only in Wisconsin. I don't buy the lesser of two evils argument any more.

"The brutal facts are that we cannot begin to build an economy for all of us when we have a democracy that works only for corporations and members of Congress." George Goehl, National People's Action

We still need to vote. It certainly wont get better if thru inaction we allow the nation to go farther and farther right.   Democrats need to stop being 'kitty cats.'

Hear! Hear!

We do need to vote, but it doesn't have to only be a choice between evils.  I plan on voting as I always do.  For the first time I'm going to try sending a message with my vote.  In the next presidential election, I will vote democratic, except for president.  I will either leave that choice blank or write in a name.

Obama hasn't been their for me in so many ways.  He doesn't even consult within the party.  As conservative as he is, he might as well be a republican.  He had my vote last time, but not now.  He has betrayed many of his supporters.  I think he needs the message that this isn't acceptable.

Just going into the voting booth and casting a ballot is not going to get it! The fundies started 30 years ago to control the Republican party, that's how they got where they are. We must participate in local party commitees, elect local freethinkers and go from there. In this system you must start at the bottom to make a change.

The Christian right wing is dummying down the country, this dummying down will not take long to be reflected in the American economy, its standing across the international board is already in decline I believe. Reason will not reach these people, only when it hits their standard of living will these people become somewhat enlighten. By that time they will eating the dust of other nations on many levels, as they try to make up for lost ground.

I don't know that they'll notice, even then.
The View From Europe: Its Already Happened!
Easy, Zach. Pick your battles with care.
The best tactic for Darwin’s Regulars in contemporary match play between evolution and creationism is getting the message of evolution out of the Academy into the public’s field of view. Richard Dawkins says that scientists are in large measure to blame for the woeful public ignorance about the ideas of evolution. I agree. In my experience, it is invariably the lack of general comprehension of the easily understandable science on this topic that allows the debunkers of Darwin to gain a foothold on the public imagination.
Take for example the very revealing misunderstanding of what science means by the word theory as compared to what people generally mean in common speech. In everyday usage a theory is something speculative; a guess or a hunch about how or why certain things work the way they do. Whereas, in science,  (I'm sure that I'm preaching to a well-trained choir here), a theory or theoretical refers to a body of accepted experimental evidence, testing and re-testing, indisputable facts and explanations describing essentially the same processes. This disconnect is a source for so many objections that I hear..."But evolution is only a theory..." 

Evolution education has been cloistered for 150 years within university classrooms and laboratories and this has relegated the public to a lagging-behind status, on both basic comprehension and new discoveries in the field. This has produced a relative vacuum of information about geologic and human origins that has been filled de facto by popular religious opinions about the origins of creation. In the wake of these largely inaccurate Genesis fairytales, the National Center for Science Education, helmed by the estimable Dr. Eugenie Scott, has done much to promote the admirable mission of defending Darwin and deploying the facts. Moreover,the wave of new literature by authors like Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins are responding to this need to provide real facts to a skeptical but curious public which, given the right information, will potentially reform its opinions.

Yeah, but unfortunately, the American education system isn't getting a lot better ... and it won't, until we get the economy under control and have more money to throw at it.  We need all of those optional extra programs that conservatives are quick to strip from the budget, at the first sign of a crunch (or a threat to their upper-class tax cuts).  We were in great shape at the end of Clinton's presidency, and then W. completely trashed the whole place.

We also simply need a cultural climate shift.  Knowledge needs to be given a better image, in the media.  Jersey Shore and the like aren't helping in that respect.

Yep. I know those distressing facts and figures. I'm a politics junkie. Still...with or without a solid economy the issues stemming from science retardation will plague us until we get off the couch en masse and reaffirm our intellectual heritage.

Lary9,

I think what you say must be mostly so, but there is something about the path of least resistance, the path of least effort. It is better to be a creationist then an evolutionist, because one does not have to read all them hard books. I suspect that this struggle has the element also, not often considered, as a struggle between the intellectually inclined and those not intellectually inclined. Did Europe in the past do such a great job of introducing evolutionary biology to the public and that is what makes the glaring difference between the two populations? Perhaps we should look at the processes of different countries to find out by what means they effected said enlightenment.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service