ORIGIN OF ATHEIST PRIDE

We have everything to be proud about when declaring our atheism.

Above all, this is because we hold the intellectual high ground in being RIGHT.

Atheism is the rational and only correct way to observe and interpret Life and the Universe.

By contrast, the religious pitifully prostrate themselves at the level of the intellectual low ground because—often through little initial fault of their own, having been indoctrinated when young—they are not aware that religion is the mistaken, indeed bogus, way with which to regard the universe and its splendorous life.

Atheism is not a belief. It is the default situation into which every innocent is born.

Religion is something imposed on children’s initially-free mentality by the perverse will of elders, whether parents, school, church, synagogue or mosque.

One does not need to be a scientist to understand and agree to the atheistic viewpoint. What is needed is commonsense and a readiness to accept the results of what millions of elite scientists have discovered during the course of their hundreds of millions of experiments, particularly those carried out in the last two centuries.

The world can be proud of the history of its scientific achievements, all of which steadfastly point to an ancient universe and a neo-Darwinian interpretation of the story of Life and Humanity.

Sadly, we accept that most religionists will never give in. Their prejudiced minds are made up. They will not absorb knowledge that is new to them.

Just as we loudly proclaim our atheistic world view, we can look at the religious with pity as they humble themselves and grovel before their imaginary gods that exist nowhere but inside their heads.

Tags: atheism, atheist pride, commonsense, intelligence, life, religion, universe

Views: 992

Replies to This Discussion

It is so refreshing to be among such intelligence! You have made my day! It is nice to find people who I agree with. Thank you!

Indeed, I was thinking the same thing.  How comforting it feels to be among people who share my perspective.  For the first time, I think I understand why people join Churches.

I think we also need a counter-warning here: do not let some vague notion of respect for religious beliefs stand in the way of telling them the truth. All religions seem to have this special protected niche where they can hide and say anything they want, while anyone who dissents is automatically a bigot, or intolerant, or worse.

A good example is sexism - most of us would not tolerate sexism, but somehow we feel the need to allow it if it is done for religious reasons. A good example is the catholic church not letting females be priests. In this day and age, when old-fashioned gentlemans clubs and golf clubs are being litigated against, why is no-one taking on the good old vatican?

Because of this strange double standard, says I. And because we are all falling over ourselves to "respect" religion. Which is fine - respect for other peoples opinion is all part of being reasonable and civilized - but there are limits, and where religion is concerned the unquestioned limits we all set ourselves are, in my opinion, wrong
I've got to remember that.
Thumbs up Don!
Hi all... I am new to your forum but am quite excited to be a part of it. I am in my fifties
and the roots of my atheism go back to fourth grade in a Catholic grade school. At that age I was already asking questions that not only had no good answers,but I was told it was wrong to even ask the questions. I have had to tolerate religous superstion my entire life and frankly I'm tired of it. Wether it is being forced to hold hands around the dinner table while some incantation is delivered (I have never noticed an improvement in the quality of the food afterwards) or to sit and listen to how little Angies cold was cured by Jesus, it has been non stop my entire life. I'm fed up!! I'm not being polite anymore. I had alot of time on my hands last year and I read the entire bible.(Not recomended for those with less than a robust constitution) Since then I have engaged a number of different people in very polite, very civil conversations about thier Holy Book. The results are always the same. They have not read the book which they claim to base thier lives and thier views of reality. In the end thier feelings are hurt!!!! I think that religion needs to be treated with scorn, contempt and humor. Otherwise it will never go away.
Thank you for your post. I feel exactly as you do. I see no need to respect a person's belief in mythology. After being a closet atheist for far too long and allowing the religious to prance around pretending
to be pious and better than nonbelievers I have had enough. I am not the least bit interested in debating tiny minds. The children who are strong enough to resist the brainwashing will seek out those of us who have come out into the open. I am saving my words for them. I will not be wasting my efforts on those fearful sheep waiting for Jesus,the rapture, and Armaggedon. They make me sick

Good response, D.E. Hall!

Every few days, my myspace status says something along the lines of, "I am not ashamed; I am PROUD to be a redneck atheist!"
<3 redneck atheist! I'm a southern gal and have a soft spot for "good ole boys" but find it hard to respect them at times due to the extreme faith
On the central point of the title, I also believe that there is a lot to be proud of in embracing our atheist point of view.

It takes inner strength, when those around us have strongly held, opposing points of view. It takes courage, because we are facing our end head-on, rather than avoiding the fact of mortality. It takes honesty, because admitting to the truth can be harder than going along with the widely held delusions.

Atheism is a source of progress in medicine, technology, and progress. Thinking rationally stops the 'yes-man' inertia and allows scientists and engineers to create a better world for the future. Atheism means building a better future for the next generation, because we acknowledge our role in the environment, rather than hoping for 'the rapture' and assuming that there will be a clean slate created by Yahweh.

Atheism can improve our relationships with others, because it forces us to know that there won't be a "second chance" in the next life, so we have to continue trying to get it right in this life.

I could go on and on. Thank you for reminding us that we have so much to be proud of.

Daniel
" if only my brain would shut up."

:) But the thing is...once it starts 'talking' it won't shut up. That is exactly why most of us are here. And with all the negative stuff that gets written at the Nexus because of the battle-footing on which we atheists find ourselves, the happy, central point is that we are fortunate that our brains are 'talking'. It's a great thing to be comfortable with our (tiny) place in the universe. I, for one, take pride in the fact that I have full possession of my life. Without hubris, I am pleased with my ability to say, "this is it and it IS a good thing."

Pardon me for jumping in; I just feeling very positive today.

Cheers!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Meri Weathers liked Patricia's discussion Very Ancient Sharks Teeth Found
5 minutes ago
Randall Smith commented on Daniel W's group Food!
10 minutes ago
abdulrahman aliyu posted a group
18 minutes ago
Profile IconWanda, Cairsley, Robert Ray and 2 more joined Atheist Nexus
19 minutes ago
Randall Smith replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion In 40 years wild vertebrates halved in the group Wildlife
28 minutes ago
Todd Crispin replied to Todd Crispin's discussion New member, first post anywhere of this type
1 hour ago
Jennie updated their profile
2 hours ago
Jennie posted a photo
2 hours ago
Todd Crispin posted discussions
2 hours ago
mark fitzgibbon liked Ivy's group Atheist Humor
3 hours ago
mark fitzgibbon posted a status
"giving my daughter breakfast :)"
4 hours ago
mark fitzgibbon updated their profile
4 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service