ORIGIN OF ATHEIST PRIDE

We have everything to be proud about when declaring our atheism.

Above all, this is because we hold the intellectual high ground in being RIGHT.

Atheism is the rational and only correct way to observe and interpret Life and the Universe.

By contrast, the religious pitifully prostrate themselves at the level of the intellectual low ground because—often through little initial fault of their own, having been indoctrinated when young—they are not aware that religion is the mistaken, indeed bogus, way with which to regard the universe and its splendorous life.

Atheism is not a belief. It is the default situation into which every innocent is born.

Religion is something imposed on children’s initially-free mentality by the perverse will of elders, whether parents, school, church, synagogue or mosque.

One does not need to be a scientist to understand and agree to the atheistic viewpoint. What is needed is commonsense and a readiness to accept the results of what millions of elite scientists have discovered during the course of their hundreds of millions of experiments, particularly those carried out in the last two centuries.

The world can be proud of the history of its scientific achievements, all of which steadfastly point to an ancient universe and a neo-Darwinian interpretation of the story of Life and Humanity.

Sadly, we accept that most religionists will never give in. Their prejudiced minds are made up. They will not absorb knowledge that is new to them.

Just as we loudly proclaim our atheistic world view, we can look at the religious with pity as they humble themselves and grovel before their imaginary gods that exist nowhere but inside their heads.

Tags: atheism, atheist pride, commonsense, intelligence, life, religion, universe

Views: 980

Replies to This Discussion

Dear Dr. Meaden,

Thank you for your thoughtful response. I apologize for not making it more clear that I was not impugning either the truth your belief or the correctness of your assertion of it. My point was that the tact of public campaigns of pride, etc, give the opposition the impression of doubt concerning your atheist conclusions. This is because our more recent times have often seen similar such campaigns--- in which the thrust was not just for parity of legitimacy, but the counter thrust of claims to superiority--- pursued by groups best characterized as marginal, such as organizations espousing sexual deviance. It is possible, albeit recognizably unfair, that atheists vocal in such a manner as yours could be painted with the same dismissive brush as are adherents to what by virtually all of us are considered rationally deficient interest groups. I did not dispute your atheist conclusions, but rather your method of defending them.
I agree you do have to stand up for yourself, be proud, have your own ideas, stand up for what you believe in and not be beaten by willful ignorance.
Very well said sir. Very well said.
I also agree it is all about what people are born into if they are born in a religous family there most likely be religous. People are not born beliving in whatever they believe in.
Above all, this is because we hold the intellectual high ground in being RIGHT.
Atheism is the rational and only correct way to observe and interpret Life and the Universe.

I agree with atheist pride. *Everyone* knows I'm an atheist (and I have no gear, so this is just me blabbing about it, and politely debating friends and neighbors). But the quote above trips my "dogma radar". Granted, mine is probably very sensitive. I was raised in a christian cult. Exceptionalism is a big thing in religious groups, especially ones with claims of exclusivity. And while I agree with the statements, I guess there's just something about "We're right! You're wrong!' You're an idiot!" that triggers bad old emotions. I mean I certainly thought I *knew* everyone else was going to hell :p

That being said (and hey, it may just be me), I'm all about atheist-educating my friends and family. I know the bible obsessively, and love to point out inconsistencies. I've also had minimal education in Islam's history, but haven't debated a muslim yet. My "big issue" is changing laws to provide more protection to children - rights to education, medical care, and free minds.
I agree, atheist pride is a good thing. Unfortunately I know a lot of atheists who are quite happy to remain silent whenever something religious happens, like saving grace over dinner. Maybe it is our "Stiff Upper Lipped Britishness" that allows the religious nutters all the attention.

Atheists who get married in a church and exchange religious vows, that kind of thing.

Friends ask me why, if your do not believe in god, do you go on so much about it. I try to explain to them a world in which it is required by law that you go to church on a Sunday, why women have to be dressed head to foot in black whether they like it or not, and science and education is secondary to religious teachings (for men - women don't get either).

Perhaps I'm being too extreme in the scenario above for them to handle, that they believe it could never happen here. But to me it is those who are silent that let the bad things happen, turn a blind eye and hopefully it will not affect them. Didn't something like this happen in 1930's Germany?

Good post Dr. Meaden, I look forward to reading more.
"We can look at the religious with pity as they humble themselves and grovel before their imaginary gods that exist nowhere but inside their heads."

This is fine and dandy if there's ten of them grovelling and a hundred of us atheists spectating. In real life, and specifically in my case, there's effectively 85 million of them and only one of me because I have yet to meet another Filipino atheist in person (met some online). The very idea sends chills down my spine, rather like reading Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery" for the first time. Brrr!
On the topic of having the intellectual "high ground" I love this metaphor:

God is a flotation device. Poor souls who'd drown in their sorrows, fear, or whatever, cling madly to God, as God keeps them afloat. Some of these people are quite physically unable to tread water to any recognizable degree--or they're too scared shitless to try. In their fear, over time, they have developed the same superstitious attitude toward trying anything regarding not desperately clinging to their floatie as one might have (usefully, though) about licking an electrical outlet.

With their weird moral absolute in place for themselves and those around them who are similar, should they happen upon the shoreline one day, they'll scream and rant and rave about the dangers of not clinging to God at the people standing on firm ground. The firmgrounders respond "We don't need one of those. We find it cumbersome." (Dragging a thing around on land that floats in water but sinks in air is, indeed, cumbersome.)
I have just spent an enjoyable half hour reading through the posts in this topic again.

It has been rewarding because so many good points have been raised.

Since the last post of 27 June 2009, the group "Origins" has gained a few hundred more members, so it might be timely if discussion of this topic was resumed. Some new members on joining A/N in recent weeks have expressed their pride in being atheist and how they abhor the consequences of irrational beliefs held by religious people in their unproven faiths.

Here follow some widely-published points of view about beliefs in 'faith', regarding which we can say that atheists (unlike so many politicians, leaders, teachers and preachers) can be proud not to be sharing in the unproven absurdities conjured up by theism:

“While believing strongly, without evidence, is considered a mark of madness or stupidity in any other area of our lives, faith in God still holds immense prestige in our society. Religion is the one area of our discourse where it is considered noble to pretend to be certain about things no human being could possibly be certain about.” Sam Harris

“Faith may be defined briefly as an illogical belief in the occurrence of the improbable. . . . A man full of faith is simply one who has lost (or never had) the capacity for clear and realistic thought. He is not a mere ass: he is actually ill.” H. L. Mencken.

George Bernard Shaw, on 'faith': “The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one”.

And to cap it all,
The Catholic Church no longer swears by the whole truth of the Bible

“The hierarchy of the Roman Catholic Church has published a teaching document instructing the faithful that some parts of the Bible are not actually true. The Catholic bishops of England, Wales and Scotland are warning their five million worshippers, as well as any others drawn to the study of scripture, that they should not expect “total accuracy” from the Bible. “We should not expect to find in Scripture full scientific accuracy or complete historical precision,” The Gift of Scripture.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,13509-1811332,00.html
Just like my dad told me when i was young, people will "respect" or "understand" you better if you worship a tree instead of believing in nothing at all.
Your dad expressed it well. Many godbots think it preferable to venerate anything rather than nothing.
The rationality that exposes a godless universe escapes them.
Good point. All children are naturally born atheists! Religion is treason against our species by misinforming the youth! It is proper to take pride in discovery and knowing what is real. The fundie mentality can't stand to venerate the able, having accepted it's antitheses as the good. The antitheses of able is (the non existent state of) god.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service