Drove 600 miles to Parris Island, South Carolina to see my cousin graduate from the USMC. This was my first military graduation exercise. What a wonderful time we had, until.......

The Marine Corps band started the proceedings by playing the march Onward Christian Soldiers.

Also, are the prayers getting longer at these events or am I getting more atheist?

After the service, oops, I mean graduation, my cousin showed me this wonderful small bible the chaplain gave every Marine to carry with them.

I've noticed more and more public events are becoming religious. My grandson goes to a public school. He invited my wife and me to listen to his high school band and chorus play and sing "Holiday Songs". I left after the third song glorifying god on the highest.

Am I the only one noticing this trend? What's your experience?

Views: 68

Replies to This Discussion

Definitely. I don't think I would've left my grandson's show. It's not his fault. However, I think I would definitely take to a higher authority. We have to take a stand. I am currently getting mobilized to Afghanistan and it is actually required that I process through a chaplain. I refused stating that I believe in no gods and therefore don't need to speak with an authority on mythology. They took my paperwork and had one of the chaplains sign it. I was stunned. I do not understand why it is a requirement. I can't do it right now, but when I get back I am going to contact someone about this.
What a great quote, "I don't need to speak to an authority on mythology". Man, I got to remember that.
Coo......................: "I don't need to speak to an authority on mythology".

Yes, Gerald that is a brilliant statement by Doug---a quote to remember and use as appropriate in the future.
Way to go! This must be something new they are doing, because my husband didn't have to go to a chaplin (well wasn't required to). It was on his paperwork it just never got checked off. They did issue him a bible though. And he somehow ended up with a book about Christian science *those two words should not be in the same sentence* it was weird. If he "has to" go see a chaplin the next time he deploys I don't foresee that going over very well. He isn't very vocal but if he had to talk to a chaplin oh boy he would be livid.
Although them making it a requirement isn't too shocking, from what I have been told when you say the Oath of Enlistment now they aren't giving the alternate to the "so help me god" line like they are suppose to. I'll find out for sure when my husband re-enlist. Little by little they want god, country, and military to be one. But in a situation like that who does one contact?
Doug--You go baby! You are awesome (and quite funny)! I love you!
an excellent reply - and one which they were quick to gloss over. (priorities?)
I'm an officer currently serving in the US Army, and yes, it seems belief is to be expected and you hear platitudes to Jesus all the time. It's grating, but I haven't been directly affected by it.

The worst experience I had with it was when I was at the Academy and one of the head officers there can in to give a presentation about himself so we'd know what he was about. At one point, he mentioned his faith and that all officers need faith of some sort in order to function properly in their role. He also added that he's met plenty of "unrepentant atheists" that suddenly fell to their knees in prayer when bullets started flying. He didn't actually give any examples.

At the time, I was just at the beginning of my doubts, so I really didn't think anything of it. Looking back though...ugh, it makes me angry. However, I've been an officer for over two years now, and I've done just fine without faith, thank you very much.
A few months ago, shortly after the newspaper that gets delivered to my house changed its format to look more like a tabloid and be full of more basic spelling errors, I noticed that every page at which I looked for the days in which I read any of it had "God" at least once. I think it has mostly to do with the lack of money; the wimps are retreating into their security blanket.
that's interesting - here in Britain Tony Blair was apparently actively discouraged from giving the impression that he was overly religious (according to him anyway, whcih might not be the most reliable source). interesting nonetheless. I've recently joined the other side of the activist fence - after numerous attempts by random strangers to convert me to various religions in the past months, offering me religious propaganda (including at my home, which i find particularly rude), I've written my own 'atheist pamphlet' to give in exchange from now on... it's at atheistprinciples.tripod.com
haven't used it yet, but can't wait to see the reactions...
I love the idea!
Dear Sigmund
I have just been to your site
atheistprinciples.tripod.com
and printed out your 2-page pamphlet.

It's very good--and courteous and to the point--as something helpful to give to door-knocking godbots.
Why not start a thread on "Origins" right away so as to advertise its existence so that others may benefit by having it ready at home in the hallway to give to the next callers?
You can be sure that the chaplains, given their bit of freedom to run their own little world in their own little way, are power-crazy.
Each has a captive audience, most of whom are believers; and those who are not believers, being outnumbered (indeed, outgunned in that sense), are understandably largely reluctant to speak out. You have to be pretty brave to say that you "do not need to listen to an authority on mythology".

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service