Drove 600 miles to Parris Island, South Carolina to see my cousin graduate from the USMC. This was my first military graduation exercise. What a wonderful time we had, until.......

The Marine Corps band started the proceedings by playing the march Onward Christian Soldiers.

Also, are the prayers getting longer at these events or am I getting more atheist?

After the service, oops, I mean graduation, my cousin showed me this wonderful small bible the chaplain gave every Marine to carry with them.

I've noticed more and more public events are becoming religious. My grandson goes to a public school. He invited my wife and me to listen to his high school band and chorus play and sing "Holiday Songs". I left after the third song glorifying god on the highest.

Am I the only one noticing this trend? What's your experience?

Views: 81

Replies to This Discussion

Great story. I know they're more. Thanks
I've noticed this quiet a bit at the various schools our children have attended.

It nauseates me when I see kids always wearing church or religious shirts to school. Yes I understand it's their right, but I cannot help feel like they are doing it to "advertise" their beliefs.

Children giving my child invetations to their church while in class. I'm tempted to make up atheist/reason flyers if it continues.

Teachers wearing crosses dangling out over the top of their turtle necks. It's one thing to wear a piece of religious jewelry, but she is going way out of her way to "advertise" her religion.

Teachers showing up at school with vans markeds all over "onward christian soldiers" like she is going to her kids soccer game.

When an adult leads the children in prayer... I mean the (it seems manditory) pledge at school.

The manditory Holiday concert only had Christian themed songs and was loaded with the word God, one was even a prayer.

And last but not least the wonderful bus, hallway, and lunch room question of "Do you believe in God?"

Yes, I've noticed, and sometimes I feel like it's only a matter of time before I become the next Newdow. If I didn't have kids, I already would be...but then again I wouldn't have a case then either. I feel like the only way this can be fought is with our children on the front lines. I'm not sure I'm ready to do that. Though I think my child is sick of it and more than ready.
I watched the Alabama - Florida football game this weekend. Football players wear black eyeliner under their eyes. Now, they write bible verses on them. The Florida team had just about every verse covered. If I didn't want to watch this game so badly, I would have turned it off after the first five minutes. But, there was a happy ending.

After Florida lost, the quarterback was crying on the sideline. The tears were running down the bible verse. He looked silly.
John 16:33. I think. I do not have a bible background. Thank goodness.
I watched the Florida game the week before and the announcers commented on the parents of the quarterback as being "devout christians"and that was the explanation why he had bible verses in his eyeliner,that was a real eye rolling moment for me. I remarked to a friend who I was watching the game with,who's a theist by the way,that the verse probably said "kill'em all", he was not amused. It seems like believers can't take a joke. Displays of religious piety during and after games is becoming quite annoying. The idea that a supernatural being is helping you to perform on the field is ridiculous and silly.
Great line. Thanks
I am so sick of seeing Bible verses on everything. I keep seeing verses on my friends Facebook pages. I feel like putting my own Bible verse up there- of course, I would choose the most bizarre one I could find that makes Christianity look very bad. Would that be too evil? I'd probably lose most of my friends but it is so tempting.
Perhaps you can choose an example that you would like to show us here.
Cheers.
I think the one I might choose would be Exodus 4:24 where God wants to kill Moses:

"And it came to pass by the way in the inn, that the Lord me him, and sought to kill him." King James Version

That was one that made me question a few things when I read it some time ago. There might be some better ones out there. I never read the whole Bible. I started to, which was part of the reason I lost my faith, then I didn't want to bother anymore. It amazes me that there are people out there (like my mother) who have actually read the entire Bible and still believe it is the "infallible word of God."
I wonder, skepticmom, whether you might care to start a thread on this subject, calling upon others to make some suggestions as to what biblical verses that skeptics like us might like to see posted on the web or on billboards, or on signs near churches etc.
LOL-that would be funny to see near church signs, etc. Thanks for the suggestion. I may start the threat sometime, but right now I don't think I'd have the time to follow it.
If only the wishes of the founding fathers were propery upheld:

Thomas Jefferson 1743 - 1826
"The clergy believe that any power confided in me will be exerted in opposition to their schemes, and they believe rightly."

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service