New technology suggests that modern humans were in Europe (southern Italy) 45,000 years ago. That is, using new technology, fossils previously thought to be Neanderthal are now being called Homo sapiens. Moreover, the same reclassification has been made for 44,000 year old fossils found in the UK. Prior to these findings the earliest evidence of Homo sapiens in Europe pointed to Romania about 40,000 years ago.

Per the article:

Thomas Higham of the University of Oxford, who co-authored the other Nature paper, said the new studies tell "us a great deal about how rapidly our species dispersed across Europe during the last Ice Age."  He said the discoveries also mean "that early humans must have co-existed with Neanderthals in this part of the world, something which a number of researchers have doubted."

Before the findings of Benazzi and his team, the first known modern humans in Europe came from Romania and dated to 40,000 years ago. Early Upper Paleolithic modern human cultures are documented in the Near East to about 45,000 years ago, which previously left a gap of 5,000 years between these Homo sapiens and the ones from Romania. "With our findings, the gap is filled," said Benazzi, whose research was published this week in the journal Nature.

The findings have been published this week in the journal, Nature.

http://news.discovery.com/history/first-known-europeans-identified-...

Tags: Europe, Humans, Jubinsky

Views: 171

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for sharing.   BTW, for anybody interested in the Neanderthals:   If you ever get to Düsseldorf/Germany, the original Neanderthal is at the outskirts. 

There is a really great museum there.   I live only about 20miles away and I really like that museum.

http://www.neanderthal.de/en/home/index.html

I couldn't get to the source from the link. Is there a direct link to the article ?
the link to the article works, when I open it.
The link works for me too. You should be getting a Discovery article. The supplied link is not meant to take you to the Nature article.

So, I've read what there is to read.

It's poorly written. For example, it says 'Europe's earliest known modern humans existed around 45,000 years ago in a southern Italian prehistoric cave, according to new research.' I mean, we know our ancestors were in South Eastern Europe first because they followed a westward overland route into Europe.

I need to read the source article which I found is only available to journalists.

@ Napoleon:

There is first hand clarification in the article by the scientists who wrote both Nature articles as to the significance of the findings. Regarding this, in addition to the first hand clarification presented in the abstract the point is made that the findings fill a 5,000 year gap in the migration to Europe.

"With our findings, the gap is filled," said Benazzi, whose research was published this week in the journal Nature.

Good find!

Interesting. Some anthropologists believe the Neanderthals were out-competed by modern humans, Neanderthals eventually disappearing some 25,000 years ago. So it seems we co-existed with Neanderthals in Europe for many thousands of years. Anyone know of evidence of conflict between the races? What impact might such conflict have had on the demise of the Neanderthals?

I don't know if any outright evidence of conflict exists. I haven't heard of any. However, I suspect that the more technologically advanced modern humans would have reacted to Neanderthal in much the same way that the newly arrived Europeans in the Americas reacted to the native Americans.

Reasonable assumption. Many examples throughout history of peoples/civilizations conquered or annihilated by more advanced peoples. As glaciers receded at the end of the last ice age, huge swathes of open land were exposed, conditions suited to modern humans/Cro Magnons. Neanderthals were not fleet of foot; their powerful stocky frames were suited to ambush hunting with thrust weapons at close range. It's likely Neanderthals had not developed advanced tool technologies and weapons such as the bone-tipped long range spear which allowed modern humans to bring down prey from a distance. A remarkable thing about the Neanderthals is their apparent lack of cultural and technological advancement over many thousands of years. Confronted by modern humans and changing climate, it was adapt or die. Neanderthals could not adapt; they were driven out and eventually confined themselves to areas of southern Europe

I read before, that modern humans threw their spears, while Neanderthals used their spears only to stab.    If the survival in the harsh climate really depended on the ruthless use of outgroups as resources, then throwing spears from a distance gave the modern humans an advantage in catching Neanderthals as food for cannibalism, as slaves or to take their supplies and furs away.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service