I had a fierce debate today with a friend at the local pet shop over vegetarianism - she's an ovo-lacto veggie - over if an egg is alive.

Bad idea... ;-)

We parted friends but it got me to thinking - IS an unfertilized egg alive?

The obvious answer is, of course not, but is that the whole answer? I don't know.

I did figure out why ovo-lacto vegetarianism is nearly as bad as omnivorous me though. The O-L veggie claims to have the moral high ground that no animal died because of them - but this isn't true.

The hens are kept in horrible conditions and bred specifically to lay-lay-lay until they are slaughtered for animal food and probably recycled to themselves. Worse, the cow only provides milk for its offspring which we then take away and slaughter: so indirectly, the demand for milk creates (almost) as much suffering for baby cattle as the meat does. One could even argue (just for fun) that the calves are a bi-product and us meat eaters are simply providing a service for the milk drinkers.

I value my testicles too much to posit that one to her though.

Views: 196

Replies to This Discussion

Found this answer to the first part of your question at: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_an_unfertilized_egg_alive
Short answer: rarely. 
Long answer: First, understand that a newly-laid egg contains only one cell. The rest is a yolk (the food source for a growing embryo) suspended in (an?) albumen (the white). So it's a little odd to talk about a whole egg being alive, but let's go with it. 
The definition of "life" is a little squishy on the cell level. Something is usually considered alive if a typical one can reproduce, but a sperm cell is still considered alive before uniting with an egg cell. 
So initially, the unfertilized egg cell in an unfertilized egg is alive. But after the eggshell hardens and the egg is laid, it's anyone's guess. I wouldn't be surprised if there were research somewhere on when the egg dies, but unless parthenogenesis (roughly speaking, a virgin birth) occurs quickly, the egg's probably dead.
I'm an omnivore.  I eat.  I live.  I don't like the idea that animals are sacrificed for my food consumption, but am not so disturbed about it that I change my cultural eating habits, unless what I eat are becoming endangered species.  I am more concerned about over fishing the oceans and am more careful in this arena.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_an_unfertilized_egg_alive#ixzz1Odpgl5oU

You make me facepalm.

The reason for adopting and for following vegetarianism isn't fundamentally for reasons of a supposed moral high-ground in all cases for all people all the time everywhere.  That reason is completely uncompelling on its own, and in general is a sort of non-sexual masturbation.  The only compelling reason to become or be vegetarian is the absence of the waste in energy and resources that occurs during the steps where animals are involved.

Okay, now that I've harped my standard spiel I feel better.

Now, to address the point: I-   Hey, wait a minute!  Jerking yourself off about how ovolactoveggies are still as sinful as what Westboro refers to as "fag enablers" was the point, wasn't it?

:D  lol.  You're so sneaky.

I'm a vegetarian (not vegan, so I eat milk-products and eggs), just not for ethical reasons.  I don't care what they do to the animals, as long as it's not unnecessarily cruel.  What counts as unnecessary has to be sorted out, but considering all of the people who get freaking rabid on the subject, I'm sure they've got in well in hand.  It's not something I care enough about to spend time thinking about it.  There are only so many subjects that someone can really care about and invest time in.
Isn't this a bit of a moot point? - Why does the matter of aliveness matter?  Even if the egg has the potential to become a living creature, at this stage it is not conscious on any meaningful level.  Is she mourning the loss of the brilliant chicken intellect that is potentially lost to poultry culture?  What principle of the arguer is being offended exactly? - does she not eat any food with a trace of a metabolism?
Living things need living things to live - what you eat doesn't matter - it's how you treat it before you eat it that most matters.

I was brought up vegetarian and then was vegan for 10 years - this lead to health problems.

I now believe that it is child abuse to bring up a child on a vegan or vegetarian diet.
Living things need living things to live - what you eat doesn't matter - it's how you treat it before you eat it that most matters.

I was brought up vegetarian and then was vegan for 10 years - this lead to health problems.

I now believe that it is child abuse to bring up a child on a vegan or vegetarian diet.

Wow!! talk about opening up the proverbial can of worms.....this whole discussion took on a life of its' own. 

Good to see that we can all discuss things without yelling or name calling, though.  I like seeing the respect for other people's opinions. 

I do love opening those cans of fine worms... eh, Wanderer? ;-)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Grinning Cat replied to eric stone's discussion Scalia should be shown our disrespect for continually insulting atheists
2 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to eric stone's discussion Scalia should be shown our disrespect for continually insulting atheists
5 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to eric stone's discussion Scalia should be shown our disrespect for continually insulting atheists
6 minutes ago
Asa Watcher replied to eric stone's discussion Scalia should be shown our disrespect for continually insulting atheists
6 minutes ago
Grinning Cat replied to eric stone's discussion Scalia should be shown our disrespect for continually insulting atheists
9 minutes ago
Asa Watcher replied to eric stone's discussion Scalia should be shown our disrespect for continually insulting atheists
10 minutes ago
10 minutes ago
11 minutes ago
19 minutes ago
Asa Watcher commented on Joan Denoo's blog post ...And What If I'm Wrong?
19 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to eric stone's discussion Scalia should be shown our disrespect for continually insulting atheists
20 minutes ago
35 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service