After almost 23 years the Hubble Space Telescope is looking deeper into space than ever. One thing that it is confirming is the relatively early formation of galaxies after the Big Bang. This raises the question of why the expansion of the universe has not been smoother. Some including Hawking theorize the answer is that ours is only one of multiple universes of different types that occurred randomly. It is hoped that Hubble will continue to operate into 2018 when its more powerful successor, the James Webb Space Telescope, is scheduled to be launched. Per the article:

The added magnification boost of the clusters' gravity should make these pictures the deepest glimpses of the universe yet. The shots could capture galaxies that are older and farther away than anything ever seen before. "Some of them will be among the most distant galaxies yet found,"....The nearly 23-year-old telescope is still going strong after five upgrades from visiting space shuttle crews. NASA hopes to keep the observatory running until at least 2018, when its successor, the James Webb Space Telescope, is due to launch.

http://news.discovery.com/space/astronomy/hubble-deep-field-survey-...   

Tags: Hubble, Jubinsky, Telescopes, Webb

Views: 85

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you John for the article. I enjoyed reading it.

No problem.

Best investment America ever made.  Interestingly enough, my sister is friends with the guy who put the thing in space.  Like, he was on the Space Shuttle, driving the robotic arm that originally released it.  He was one of her professors at KU, and they got to know each other.  They share recipes and stuff.  It's kinda cool that she is friends with an astronaut.

I'm hoping we might be able to gain some insight as to why there is existence at all. I think the vast majority of us would like to learn more about this. After all, it would address the question of why we exist. If the purpose of our lives is only to be comfortable and die then it seems to me that we are all living in vain. In my opinion intellectual fulfillment has to be part of our purpose.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service