The Higgs boson particle (often called the god particle) was theorized to exist for a long time. It is called the god particle because it is supposed to give mass to all other matter in the universe. Recently it was thought to have been discovered by colliding subatomic particles at very high rates of speed. Of course the characteristics of the suspected Higgs are being very carefully scrutinized. Some scientists are now saying that if they have discovered a real Higgs the characteristics they are finding indicate that our universe may be unstable and, after of billions of years, may cease to exist. They are saying it may be wiped out by the birth of another one. Per the article:

“Essentially, the universe wants to be in a different state and so eventually it will realize that. A little bubble of what you might think of as an alternative universe will appear somewhere and then it will expand out and destroy us. So that’ll be very dramatic, but you and I will not be around to witness it,” Lykken told reporters before a presentation at the American Association for the Advancement of Science meeting in Boston this week. “There will be a new universe, a much more boring universe, so I hope this doesn’t happen,” he added.

http://news.discovery.com/space/higgs-boson-discovery-universe-end-...

Tags: Dooms Day Particle, Higgs Boson, Jubinsky, Quantum Physics

Views: 152

Replies to This Discussion

I think that's enough time to reach type omega on my opinion.

The dooms day particle eh? Just hope Mr Higgs dosen't take that news badly.

It makes sense that a new universe would form from the heat dead current universe - it's not inconsistent with the current theory.  What if the new universe was composed of anti-matter and the burnt out husk of the old universe fueled the expansion of the new?

My response disappeared into the ether, just like an exploding star, I suppose. The words float around the universe, in unseeable and unreadable ways, until perhaps Higgs boson reappears and restores all those lost words floating around. 

Well, let's assume the new universe will be composed of anti-matter and the burnt out husk of our old universe to fuel the expansion of the new. Isn't that the way it happened to our universe all those billions of years ago? 

If that assumption is true, what is the implication for you and me? OK! We can start out by celebrating the fact that we lived to see the flourishing of critical thought, splendid art and music, and developing of science into processes capable of destroying all life as we know it. We end up as dust of a burnt out husk of our old universe, and explode, scattering out guts through all time and matter to create a new universe ... or whatever they call it. 

In the meantime, we can sing, dance, debate, and remember how far we came in this old system. Our kids, and their offspring, can figure out how to solve problems our generation created while we  blindly went after consuming all that is rich, beautiful, and workable. 

I am willing to bet that if enough of us make a loud noise and make demands on the polluters and life destroyers, we will be able to turn the fate of this old ship around and give opportunity for the younger ones to restore and then create a world of flourishing ... until the next Big Bang. 

Regardless of the fate of our universe doing things for the principle of it makes sense to me.

Jim DePaulo, "What if the new universe was composed of anti-matter and the burnt out husk of the old universe fueled the expansion of the new?" Isn't that the way we say the creation of our universe occurred? From a burned out old universe, the new emerges?

Does it not mean that our universe and Milky Way and earth as we know it will explode and the elements scatter into ??? only to be formulated into a new beginning of a new universe?

Let's assume this is true, the meaning for us is to live long, healthy, productive lives with full consciousness that we humans came into being at a very special period of time with Homo sapiens developing into engineers and scientists and artists and painters and story tellers and educators and economists and politicians. We have have been able to remember the past, that we bear witness to highest levels of critical thought and the lowest level of social functioning. Our smarts make it possible to kill more, faster than ever before. Oh! we are too smart for our britches.

Well, anyway, a good old fashioned fight agains polluters, dominators, war-mongers, and liars sounds like a good way to go into the sunset.

We always knew that our world is not forever and is going to end some day, so the thought that the universe is also going to go the same way is not particularly explosive. It was rather obvious. This is not also the first time that the doom of the universe was predicted. One theoreticaal prediction says that the universe that is expanding presently may start contracting some time in distant future and converge in to a minute partical of infinite mass like it was just before the big bang and that there would be another big bang that will give birth to another universe. If this proves true, it may mean that the universe has undergone some cycles of birth and death before. 

Joan's suggestions for the ways to live life and then to go in the sunset are very approriate.

“There will be a new universe, a much more boring universe, so I hope this doesn’t happen,”

Is there any insight as to why the author thinks this new universe will be more "boring"? Is this just due to the fact that any lifeforms around at the time of transition will be wiped out, or because the author doesn't believe it will be possible for life to form at all in the subsequent universe?

Tom Reeves, I wondered the same thing ... why should anyone expect a new universe will start off where ours ended. I suspect evolution on a new universe will turn out very differently than ours, simply because at each branching point there is a different environment, different elements available, and different ratios of one element to another. That is why I don't think there is any life form "out there" that evolved the same as we. Will all life that develops in any universe have an abundance of nitrogen, oxygen and carbon? Is a carbon base the only element that forms a foundation upon which to grow?

I agree finding an evolutionary tree that even remotely mimics ours would seem highly improbable. I think there is life of some kind somewhere out there in our present universe (be it microbial or multi-cellular), but I don’t think we’ll be encountering human doppelgangers from another planet in our universe. Even life as intelligent as human beings has proven to be a one in [insert exact number of all other species that have ever existed here] longshot on a planet known to be stable and abundant with life. So I’m a doubter that our species will ever find another of equal or greater intellect in our universe. As for carbon, in our universe anyway, I think it’s eagerness to bind to itself and make long molecular chains make it the prime suspect for any other life form. But as for what the physics of another universe might promote – who knows?

It is possible that there are other universes coming in to existence, evolving and dying in a manner completely different from our universe, but the question is what happens to the matter contained in our universe after it dies. There could be many possibilities but one among them could be that there would be another Big Bang followed by an evolution like that of our universe.

Madhukar, I like your response about what happens to matter in our universe when it dies. Of course, the physicists are looking in many different directions because they don't know what happens to the universe when it dies, or when it was born. As Richard Feynman stated, "I don't know". Reading such physicist as Benoit MandelbrotSteven WeinbergStephen HawkingBrian Greene, and looking at various theories, I don't think anyone knows what Higgs boson particle will do. Furthermore, I don't think it matters. Nature will do what it does, whether at the direction of some supreme being, or just like oil and water don't mix, and up and down are relative. I don't believe a Higgs boson particle will give an address for god, nor will it answer prayers, nor will it care when each one of us dies. Nature doesn't give a hoot; that is as it should be. I can live with that. In the meantime, there is no evidence of god any gods. 

Richard Feynman on God

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service