I post daily atheist quotes on Facebook that are always met with opposition and I certainly dont mind a good debate, but my debating skills aren't the best and I'm usually a warrior instead of a diplomat because I tend to be a little overly emotional about it at times and come across kind of harsh or brash. At this point I'm greatly outnumbered by christians who are friends and family that keep trying to shut me up. anyone interested in adding me on Facebook and joining in the debate my name is Zac Polk and I'm from st. Louis. Id be glad to have you as we are all one big family here anyway. Thanks!!

Zac

Views: 58

Replies to This Discussion

Well they have this very distended sense of what god is.  I was forever being told whatever I thought was like it wasn't it was more like if you had inspiration in your life -  that was god.  If you perceived beuaty - that was god. If you acted kindly or were the recipient of a kind act - that was god, and the reason for kindness beauty, meaning was the 'divine light' that god had placed within everything.

Now if that makes one lick of sense to you have have more smarts than I do!

No, not more smarts, just more psychotropic substances in my system.  That sounds all new agey and useless to me ...

But it also pisses me off.  That's the sort of concept of God that is great for keeping people sucked in.  It keeps them eternally thankful for everything good in their lives, because anything good they accomplish is God's work.

It makes people incapable of accepting credit for their own accomplishments, and I can see it being more effective than the threat of hell.  The threat isn't even in the next world.  The threat is the loss of all the things God has done for them in this world.

Well it's old-age-new-age, Quakers was founded in 1647. 

In a strange way I think it's possibly one of the least offensive sects in Christendom, and yet you are hitting on exactly what I object too as well.  It's all still nonsense that impoverishes us through faith.

Yeah, I know the Quakers are old.  The oatmeal has been around for a long time.

They're definitely not fundamentalist, but they're still supporting something that stifles inquiry ... not like the Catholic church did in the middle ages, but just by making people think they have the answers.

I like to think that rational, reasoned responses will make a difference to some believers, since I was (at least nominally) a believer. Pascal's wager makes sense if you're raised in that environment and you've never heard anyone point out why it's kind of silly.

The thing that is worrisome about this person is the fear of hell is so ingrained emotionally that I don't know if reason can fight that battle. I got a little bored reading through all of it, and skimmed it down to the bottom where she really gives herself away. If reality has to go up against "agony for eternity" then there is going to be a lot of resistance, and all the more credit to her, as you say, for being willing and not hostile. People who are motivated by fear, though, really scare me.

"Pascal's wager makes sense if you're raised in that environment and you've never heard anyone point out why it's kind of silly."

Except she has had it's flaw(s) pointed out to her - and she said she continued to use it.  That's why having pitched a few soft-balls I went pretty hard on that one by accusing her of being outright dishonest.

"the fear of hell is so ingrained emotionally that I don't know if reason can fight that battle"

No I suspect not, I'm not at all likely to change her mind, but such altruism while admirable isn't really my objective this time.

"I got a little bored reading through all of it"

Aww shame, you missed some good stuff. ;)  Personally blame the internet for giving people short attention spans! :^P

I find it rather comical that she's believes in a spiritural war, Satan, the bible correlates with the fall of the world.  I'm dying to see if she's into the rapture or prophecy or both.

Either way should be fun.  But then I am a masochist.

See how she feels about May 21st coming up.
Oh yes - that guy.  ha ha  oh yes, that's good  very clever.  ^^
Well, I see what you mean, and I definitely don't have sympathy for her there. I feel sorry for people who have had fear pushed on them, but it's cruel to push it onto others. It is fascinating/funny how that can be so real to someone. But it gets a little old, and especially when I have relatives who spout the same sorts of things, it gets painful to listen. That's what I meant rather than being just bored. It seems a little futile. I guess my masochistic streak runs shallow. And I'm off to google the May 21 thing...

We Can't Know - Countdown To Backpedaling

Click the 'what is this?' link in the middle.

Yes, the same craziness as all the others. Looks like an interesting show, thanks for the link.
Oh, you've never watched Ask an Atheist?  I take it you've seen The Atheist Experience, though?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service