Some interesting comments on that discussion that I wanted to respond to - but it's gone, so I've started another discussion to continue....

Views: 389

Replies to This Discussion

No I don't. Cool, thanks for looking, and for the other posts. Does anyone ELSE have my first comment?

Wanderer - I'll look

Joseph, In my opinion, excellent, as usual, although I am not sure to whom I should give credit. If anyone wants to claim the quote, please do so. 

These quote stand out for me:

Joseph, on Atheist Nexus/Faith, Theories and Evil (Faith is a homonym)

December 31, 2011, page 1 & 2

“if we don't have to? Just call it trust, or justifiable belief, or beliefs contingent on evidence. We should never use the word faith in any other context other than to make the religious aware that they are being irrational!”

“It is for this very reason that I shout out, do not let them get away with this! Do not grant them the use of the word faith as having any credibility whatsoever, or it will undermine every attempt at using reason to demonstrate the utter lack of justification they have for their beliefs.”

A great way to end 2011.  I foresee 2012 to be a year of exploration, experimentation and discovery. 

Wanderer replied to charles defrates's discussion "faith is a homonym" in ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN on Atheist Nexus

------------
Hah, come to think of it, I was attacked by a drunk student at school once, but he was too drunk to do me any harm. Still, my point remains - one person out of how many? So the odds are pretty well known, and known to be very low. So it is still reasonable to expect that random strangers can be trusted, at least out in public during the day, etc.

I agree - it's just about looking at the odds and then aiming to calm down the bio chemistry... 

Kevin C Jenkins replied to charles defrates's discussion "faith is a homonym" in ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN on Atheist Nexus

------------
The bible is a Rorschach test.  It's all over the place, so one can find justification for whatever one was going to do anyway.

That's funny!

Seriously, they deleted that page?  There were some excellent responses there.  Unbelievable.

Damn! I can't even get my own response back. That Charles Defrates! I thought I had put the case so well, and now I have to freakin rewrite it?! Ah well, I guess it shouldn't be too hard...

Wanderer - I have all the emails if you want I can have a look for your post and re post it here... just give me a clue were to look - date, time, starting line ?

Ah, well I think it must be gone by now. It was my very first response, and I remember it only because of the last line, which was something like: you should ask a believer whether they think they need to have justification for their beliefs, and if they do, then ask them what is the point of faith!

It's ok if you can't find it, I'm sure inspiration will strike me again and when it does I'll try to find someplace safer to put it!

you could always plead with Charles to post it here for you - as he would have it, being the discussion creator... :)

Why was it deleted?

I think Charles deleted his own discussion - didn't like how the discussion was going perhaps?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service