I hope we can start a serious disscusion about having one Global Atheist Symbol to identify all the atheists in the World.

The two letters A + T are at the root of more than 80 official languages plus hundreds of unofficial languages or regional languages:

Latest design 2010 ATHEIST EYE ~OJO ATEO:
http://www.atheistnexus.org/video/universal-atheist-symbol-2007-1

The original design:

Slideshow of the latest design atheisteye:

Athesitically yours

Jorge Aberingi

Tags: atheisteye, atheistsymbol, ojoateo, simboloateo

Views: 2130

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, why not...

how about incorporating a missing link type creature or the idea of evolution, something easily recognizable by other groups or individuals...we should emphasize that we are FOR something (human grandor, decency, tolerance, peace, progress, evolution etc) not just anti-religion...but I am new to this and haven't read all the comments, perhaps this symbol has "evolved" from many contributors and ideas..
i don't have a problem with that.. but honestly i think its just not necessary .. maybe if i find a convincing reason i will change my mind but can't find any yet
The PEACE symbol, the ANARCHIST symbol and the ATHEIST symbol are innovative futuristic symbols for the XXI century. And they reperenst the opposite to the CROSS, HALF MOON and the STAR of DAVID.

It is easy to draw anywhere, especialy on churches walls.

Even I have a design of an atheist eye for tattoo.

looks a kinda freemasonic symbol too
It might look like... but it is not :-)

Atheists are too free minded to be able to act as one group.

The symbol is cute and well done indeed. Looks similar that hippie symbol.
Don't confuse the atheist symbol with a religion or a political party please.
The PEACE symbol was a free symbol, so are the atheist ones. Their only purpose is to help atheist come out of the closet and meet with each other from anywhere in the world.

Aberingi

Hello Kyle,

Yes the anti-authoritarianism in me makes me not want to be labeled or identified as a one idea person. However I do think identifying ourselves is useful and needs to be done. Being free-minded is critical especially amongst ourselves. The fact is that even though our knowledge (and humility?) grows daily we can see and say that religion does not have the answers by a long shot. There are many challenges that need to be made intellectually or to just to be a decent humane person. Personally I would not mind wearing atheist symbol on a T-shirt for fun. Mind you I'm normally adverse to wearing any marketing symbols on my clothing but here I will make an exception. Perhaps a different symbol for each day of the week?
Wrong perpective if you think that an athesit symbols means putting all the atheists cats in a bag. The purpose of an atheist symbol is so, that individual atheists can recognise each other. I think.

Multilingual definition of athesim in 79 languages (wiki info) yes we need a clear simple easy to draw global atheist symbol. Spread the news please.

http://aberingi.livejournal.com/539.html

It's OK, this is a symbol among other atheist symbols. Maybe it will catch, maybe it will not. Not always the best looking meme survive. I personally didn't want to wear a cross when I was trying to be a good Christian so why should I wear something now when I am detached of a certain group? Atheists are not a group. They are the outsiders of different religious groups and many are not even against religion. I think you want to give a symbol to the anti-religionists and this group is just a part of atheists. I talked with atheists that were firmly convinced that their morals came from their former religious upbringing.

The symbol is cute, symetrical and well done only that I am not too much into wearing symbols. I don't want this to be popularized but I just changed a little bit your symbol to address the right group:

It looks uglier but it addresses the right group.
You are right and looks like you got the message. Your modification is cute.
It Reads Antireligious A + T + R.
Congratulations you have a good imagination.

Aberingi

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service