I hope we can start a serious disscusion about having one Global Atheist Symbol to identify all the atheists in the World.

The two letters A + T are at the root of more than 80 official languages plus hundreds of unofficial languages or regional languages:

Latest design 2010 ATHEIST EYE ~OJO ATEO:
http://www.atheistnexus.org/video/universal-atheist-symbol-2007-1

The original design:

Slideshow of the latest design atheisteye:

Athesitically yours

Jorge Aberingi

Tags: atheisteye, atheistsymbol, ojoateo, simboloateo

Views: 2023

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Wow, that stuff is amazing, it's almost impossible to choose one over the other.

Nice find Bryan. Thanks for passing it on.

Yes we deserve the right to be seen globally, without language barriers. A/T symbol is the beginnig. This design Can be read ATEO (Atheist) in Spanish, Portuguese, Italian
“When bad religious people combine, good atheists must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice, in a contemptible struggle.”

These words of warning are set out in the style of Edmund Burke (1729-1797. Vol. 1, p. 526, Thoughts on the Cause of the Present Discontents) who wrote:

“When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice, in a contemptible struggle.”

This item could merit a thread of its own, so I’ll try by starting one right away.
Can I just make the point that atheism needs a symbol as much as religion (as a whole) needs a symbol. Which is to say it doesn't really need a symbol.
The trouble is that each of the great frauds that constitute the big religions has one.

But at least they will never agree to unite under a single banner.
The problem is that the key principles that unite most atheists aren't particularly easy to represent with symbols.

Although we do have Secular Humanism, which I guess a lot of atheists share...
I am thinking that we use a symbol only to demonstrate that we are united against theism. Against Theism is A T. Also A-Theism (meaning without theism) is A T. Because of this, to me a form of A T is the best symbol. I personally like the stylish circled A over T because I think the positive theme of it would burden the church the most in its attempt to depict us as malign.
Fundies, O'reilly and Rush will find a way to depict us as malign anyway. I think that whatever is voted in needs to be enduring, not a symbol that can be identified by future generations as belonging to a particular period in time. Kind of like how the peace symbol has become so dated and droll that it is more of a nostalgic fashion than a representative symbol. Also, a tasteful universal symbol will make it easier to identify each other.
I do not see a combination of A and T belonging to a particular period in time. Atheism will always be A-Theism so it will always be well represented by a combination of A and T. Also, I think your idea to not fight against being depicted as malign by the church et alia would be very counter-productive. If implemented I believe it would unnecessarily make life harder for all of us. We should be making decisions that will best provide for our positions against religion and these must include a stand against the proposition that we are malign. We might learn a lesson from the Gay community. In its fight for parity it certainly is not allowing others to depict it as malign.
Hello, Of the versions shown I prefer the simpler circle version because the slick/pointy star-ish version reminds me two much of these two symbols. (Sikh & Shriners)
I am quite content with the "Red - A" from the "out-campaign" - and if I were to tattoo myself that is what I would get. I understand your points about language - very important Valid points - however some of us will never agree to a unifying symbol b/c we have a basic and fundemental problem with "self-labelling." Also I don't care which is "most popular" on the net.
I think the world is large enough to have multiple symbols, surely we can recognize that there are 1000's of different ways to be A - T.
I for one see no real need to expect diverse people worldwide to commit to a single symbol. No amount of agumentation, statistics, or debate is going to change everyone... to continue on with John's point about the gay community - yes there is one "Rainbow Pride Flag" but it is not the only Pride flag - there are flags for "leather/BSSM" "Bisexuals" "Transgendered"
... Perhaps we could take a hint from that?
Attachments:
I was talking about the Gay community not allowing others to depict it as malign. My point was that we should not either. I am in favor of a unifying symbol so that Atheists may be taken more seriously. I like the stylish A over T because it would most effectively depict us as non-malign. It also very effectively represents A-Theism.
How can you say that the A-T is the least malign? It can also represent anti-theism, which not all atheists are.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service