I hope we can start a serious disscusion about having one Global Atheist Symbol to identify all the atheists in the World.

The two letters A + T are at the root of more than 80 official languages plus hundreds of unofficial languages or regional languages:

Latest design 2010 ATHEIST EYE ~OJO ATEO:
http://www.atheistnexus.org/video/universal-atheist-symbol-2007-1

The original design:

Slideshow of the latest design atheisteye:

Athesitically yours

Jorge Aberingi

Tags: atheisteye, atheistsymbol, ojoateo, simboloateo

Views: 2020

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

I think it's possible that there is a lingering "species memory" that we possess which recalls the many, many atrocities that have been visited on humanity by religion(s). If that is so, then those of us who are sufficiently paranoid would be reluctant to identify ourselves to those many zealots who would love to see the return of the Inquisition and its auto-da-fe.

I don't think I'm kidding.
No Atheist would be forced to display the symbol so this should not be a concern.
Sometimes I think we take this stuff a little too seriously.

Even if there were a Universal Atheist symbol, I probably wouldn't display it, not out of paranoia but because atheism is a philosophical position I arrived at after a long journey. It's not something I can claim as a great achievement; it just is what it is. I don't expect, need or deserve a visual symbol that proclaims my membership. That said, however, I'm happy to be a part of the atheist community.
If you live with paranoia and prefer to keep yourself in the "closet" is up to you.

HAPPINESS IS THE ABSENCE OF FEAR
BEAUTY IS THE ABSENCE OF PAIN.

Even this traditional Catholic page with over 4 million vistis recognises the atheist symbol to refer to as. The pope, last December urged his bishops to dialogue with the atheist to convert them. Ironic? hilarious look:
-------------
http://www.google.es/imgres?imgurl=http://radiocristiandad.files.wo...
-------------------
Aberingi

I think you are missing the whole point. (with my respects)

It looks like you enjoy complicating your life or it seems that you do not understand the seruousness of this proposal. Just be a bit open minded and you'll see. Time to time.

A/T circled ROCKS!

Aberingi

Aberingi:

I enjoy complicating my life? That's laughable. I don't know if your remark is directed at me or not, but please explain how I've "complicated my life." Furthermore, your comment about keeping an open mind sounds very similar to what I've been told by religious idiots. I stated a position, and whether or not I have an 'open mind' is immaterial.
My apologies,
Open mind is being tolerant and free thinker I don't think it has to do with religious idiots.

I am aware that we talk from two different cultures and the sense of humour and ways of expressing our selves might be contradictory.

No animosity on my behalf.

Sorry if I offended you in any way it wasn't my intention.

Cheers

Aberingi.
Open mind is being tolerant and free thinker I don't think it has to do with religious idiots.

The religious tend to use the argument that atheists should keep an open mind when considering whether God exists.
No problem. No offense taken.
Thanks, dialogue versus fanaticism works:-)
There is nothing wrong with saying "I am an Atheist". A universal Atheist symbol would simply provide a way to say it without words.
man do these post get out of order! what the hell? am I the only one seeing this?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Tom Sarbeck replied to Pandarius's discussion When the solution is simple, God is answering. - Albert Einstein
7 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Homosexuals are possessed by fart demons. in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
21 minutes ago
Luara replied to Pandarius's discussion When the solution is simple, God is answering. - Albert Einstein
1 hour ago
Ted Foureagles replied to satyam dangi's discussion Do we need to change the entire spectrum of human civilization ?
1 hour ago
Luara replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Homosexuals are possessed by fart demons. in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
1 hour ago
The Devian replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Why Does Prince George Have Brown Eyes? in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Ted Foureagles replied to Kalista Whitney's discussion Was there a particular event in your life that contributed to you becoming atheist?
1 hour ago
The Devian replied to Brian Edward Croner's discussion Intelligent But Makes an Exception for Religion in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
A. D'Agio posted a photo
1 hour ago
anneshathaways posted blog posts
4 hours ago
satyam dangi replied to satyam dangi's discussion Do we need to change the entire spectrum of human civilization ?
5 hours ago
satyam dangi replied to satyam dangi's discussion Do we need to change the entire spectrum of human civilization ?
5 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service