I hope we can start a serious disscusion about having one Global Atheist Symbol to identify all the atheists in the World.

The two letters A + T are at the root of more than 80 official languages plus hundreds of unofficial languages or regional languages:

Latest design 2010 ATHEIST EYE ~OJO ATEO:
http://www.atheistnexus.org/video/universal-atheist-symbol-2007-1

The original design:

Slideshow of the latest design atheisteye:

Athesitically yours

Jorge Aberingi

Tags: atheisteye, atheistsymbol, ojoateo, simboloateo

Views: 2017

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

How in the name of reason could A-Theism ever be considered a faith? It literally means 'without theism'! According to Webster theism is the belief in a god or gods. A-Theism is the absence of such beliefs! Professing Atheism would in fact be a statement against faith! You then say the only thing that holds us together is that we all disbelieve in god/gods. This is exactly what the symbol would depict! Are you being rational?
You do know that many theists think atheism is a faith right?
Of course, what else they can think. It is their problem, no ours.

Aberingi
I will be totally honest. I have encountered a lot of theists in my 63 years and have never met one who thought Atheism was a faith. Most of the theists that I have encountered saw Atheists as morally deficient people who needed to see the light and be prayed for.
Hi Orange. What I cannot grant is that Atheism is in any way a faith or religion. Faith and religion involve a belief in a supposed god or gods. Atheism rejects the possibility of the existence of a god. In this sense it is the antithesis of faith and religion. Rather than religious, the differences among Atheists are political. Although it might not be true in your case, labeling them as religious reeks of the deployment of scare tactics to serve a hidden agenda. A hidden agenda especially comes to mind in the knowledge that the proposed symbol is being opposed when it is generic in nature, stands for no more than a rejection of worship and would empower all Atheists. Some Atheists are more critical than others and the proposed symbol is not critical in nature. I think this might be the hidden reason that some Atheists are opposing it.
Hi Orange. What I cannot grant is that Atheism is in any way a faith or religion.

He is not saying it is just acknowledging that some people do.
Hi Orange. We might be landing on the same page. In the part of your original statement where you said "then there is the other issue in regards to Atheists that don't want to be seen as just another faith so to speak" I thought you were suggesting that Atheism could be a faith. Then in your follow up statement you said that maybe you should have used "organized religion" instead of "faith so to speak". This would have read "then there is the other issue in regards to Atheists that don't want to be seen as just another organized religion". Again I thought you were suggesting that Atheism could be an organized religion especially when you used the word, creeds, to describe the differing Atheist perspectives. I am glad you didn't mean that Atheism could be a faith or religion. I hope nobody else thought that you meant it could be.

Live long.....
I hope you continue to feel free to express your very interesting and stimulating thoughts.

Live long......Orange
Hi John,

The proposal is not "Aberingi's symbol" the A/T circled was born in 2000 in a cyberassembly held by Spanish speaking people all over the World, mainly latin countries.

The propsed symbol has no intention to be an organizational unbrela for atheist and does no want to compete with existing symbols, the more atheist symbols are designed de better for diversity and knowledge.

I my self as a citizen follow different symbols. My city Town, Barcelo, Spain Europen Union and the United Nations for example.

The need for a global atheist symbol is obvious and it only serves a purpose...

To be able to identify ourselves despite language, culture or country. We deserve to stand up globally, this will help many atheists to come out of the closet specially those that live under theologist distatorships.

Cheers.

Aberingi

PD.- This design is good for tattooing, many of my friends already have tattooed it. I personally don't like tattoos, I prefer the basic circled A/T for a key holder. There is no copyrights its GNU Free to use and free to reproduce.

I like this gleaming version. Right now it is too easy for the theist community to depict us as bad, negative or even evil. A positive symbol like this one would leave us much less vulnerable to attack as malign.
This is just another design. Taken out of a design contest we made in 2008.

The good thing about the A/T circled is that as far that the 90% of the basic symbol is respected anybody can make their own design. There are already quite a few personalised ones. Even some people, gropus and organisations have given the A/T symbol a double meaning by inputting flags, for example:

the Vasque one.

Or without circle:

Or hand made on the wall:

ETC., imagination and responsability are endless.

The most popular and the "official"

one is this one:
I think one of the stylish dynamic versions would better convey that we are not malign.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service