Aberingi's long-running topic entitled "Do we need a Universal Atheist Symbol?" leads me to ask "Do we need a Universal Atheist Motto?".

Well, perhaps we don't, or perhaps we could, but some theists might get deservedly irritated if we chose to use something like "In Darwin we trust" at appropriate moments.
These words, suitably translated into other languages, have a basic international atheist appeal with respect to truth and helpful anti-theist sabre-rattling and debating.
e.g. they might look good on the side of a bus/ coach.

Tags: Darwin, bus slogan

Views: 508

Replies to This Discussion

Change the USA money back to what "In God We Trust" scrubbed.

"E Pluribus Unum".  Of the many, one.

- Gary

I don't trust Darwin in the same way theists trust God.  I think he was an intelligent, insightful thinker who proposed an important theory that turned out to be true, but his work is subject to verification like any other.  That evolution turned out to be a fact does not make Darwin its author, or me his acolyte.  While the Darwin fish with feet is good to get a rise out of theists, I do not think Darwin (or anyone) deserves to be elevated to the status of pseudo-deity.  A cult of personality is still a cult.

I don't think "In Darwin we trust." is a good choice, as it gives primary attention on Darwin the man himself and secondary attention to evolution the the scientific theory itself, rather than the larger all-encompassing philosophy of skeptical inquiry and empirical evidence-based belief, which is much broader than Darwinian evolution.

My nomination: "By science we know."

Ha, ha! Not only Darwin, then it will be Einstein, Hawking, Dawkins, etc. we trust.

But no, we don't need any motto.

I don't think we need an Atheist Motto because we are living in a dynamic world and the founding fathers in science deserve respect for they gave us a good foundation and as we continue promoting the scientific philosophy i hope an Atheist motto is not necessary now and in more times to come, if we claim to glorify Darwin, then we shall be no different from theists who glorify and worship a god, also Darwin is not alone for we have a lengthy list of scientists who have done alot in the name of science for example Albert Einstein, Galileo,Mendel ,........ etc.
Hello fellow Humanist! A motto would not have to honor a particular individual and could be consistent with Humanism in honoring science and reason. Consider the following simple three word possibility as a motto:

Dignity - Science - Reason

I believe it would be totally appropriate. Science comes before Reason in that reason is subsequently applied to scientific observations and Dignity comes first in that it is the mode in which science and reason should be pursued. Moreover, it would provide us with an Atheist Trinity and we could easily incorporate DSR into our Atheists products to help raise awareness about the Atheist/Humanist perspective.

There are lots of good and thoughtful comments here, just as I would expect from this site, where I am entering my first comment myself having just joined.

I like the idea of invoking Darwin, but like others, don't want to have anything to do with emulating religions and the horrors wrought on mankind in their names. We also don't need any beatification of singular people, and I doubt that most of them would have wanted that either.  

I'd like to throw a few classic Latin catch phrases out there:

"Dum vita est, spes est." - "While there is life, there is hope."

"Per aspera ad astra." - "Through difficulties to the stars." Or "For inspiration [look] to the stars."

I happen to like the second one for the wide range of meaning and almost universal connection to the atheist experience.

Hi everyone, I also feel that there is no need for a Universal atheist motto.  My reason is that by putting forward a motto then atheism all of a sudden becomes an organized body of unbelief which is more or less analogous to organized religion, which I do not feel atheism is. 

On the other hand, a majority of us atheists feel marginalized and downtrodden and we do need a way to speak out, encourage others or if we like, make fun of the theists.  Like someone said earlier in the thread, if we were to start an ad campaign then it shouldn't be something that reeks of organization/organized atheism. 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service