Aberingi's long-running topic entitled "Do we need a Universal Atheist Symbol?" leads me to ask "Do we need a Universal Atheist Motto?".

Well, perhaps we don't, or perhaps we could, but some theists might get deservedly irritated if we chose to use something like "In Darwin we trust" at appropriate moments.
These words, suitably translated into other languages, have a basic international atheist appeal with respect to truth and helpful anti-theist sabre-rattling and debating.
e.g. they might look good on the side of a bus/ coach.

Tags: Darwin, bus slogan

Views: 556

Replies to This Discussion

In self we trust
True. The self is a discontinouous and fleeting function of being.
Yet, that's all I have to interact with existence.
I vote for Vales
you feel well in latin
We don't need a motto - we need a bunch of slogans that we can put out there, in order to get our message across. I am kinda partial to this though:

Religious people believe in a whole host of heavenly beings;
Atheists maintain a faith in themselves, and the hallowed grounds of reason and science.
A universl motto, probably not. I fear looking like a fundamentalist. I would however, like to see some tolerance towards athiests. We are seen in a very negative light. For some reason people in my region seem to relate atheism with satanism.
If I were to say I am Rhonda, I take in abused farm animals and give them a forever home, or I have spent the last three years of my life devoted to caring for my mum who recently died from cancer; they would see me as a kind, caring human. If I add in the fact that I am antitheistic, they overlook anything productive I have done in my life and view me as evil immediately. I would love to see our image changed.
My first thought is that it should be latin like carpe deim. I don't know why. It kind of reminds me as a battle cry like "Remember the Alamo". What ever it is I think it should have the light of being civil.
I personally like Stephen Hawking's quote:

This is my personal motto already, so I definitely wouldn't mind this being adopted on a larger scale :D
There are so many aspects of science that have influenced my thinking that I wouldn't want to only focus on Darwin. Also, even if tomorrow Natural Selection and/or evolution was found not to be the way life progressed, I wouldn't automatically start believing in religion. I would start looking to science to find a better explanation. What about "in Science we trust" or "in reason we trust"?
Religion is to morality, as Lawyers are to the idea of justice.

(BTW, take a look at Religious indoctrination, and the harm that it does, when you get a chance.)
I really don't think a motto is necessary. Non believers already understand that we as atheist do not believe in a supreme being. In addition, they know that we believe in evolution, and not creative design. It just seems very pop culture to tag any motto in relation to atheism. We are who we are, and believe what we believe.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service