Aberingi's long-running topic entitled "Do we need a Universal Atheist Symbol?" leads me to ask "Do we need a Universal Atheist Motto?".

Well, perhaps we don't, or perhaps we could, but some theists might get deservedly irritated if we chose to use something like "In Darwin we trust" at appropriate moments.
These words, suitably translated into other languages, have a basic international atheist appeal with respect to truth and helpful anti-theist sabre-rattling and debating.
e.g. they might look good on the side of a bus/ coach.

Tags: Darwin, bus slogan

Views: 574

Replies to This Discussion

I like this idea. Now, how do we translate "God bless you" for sneezes?
In the Seinfeld episode "The Good Samaritan," Jerry proposed that one should say "You're so good looking!" in response to a sneeze in lieu of "God Bless You."
Hi Joan, in Mexico we say "salud" the literal transalation is "health". Is like saying get well. We have a lot of religious expresion, but "thank god" this is not one of them....
Same in the Dominican Republic, "salud" is the expression used.
"Prosit" - would by just fine!
Gesundheit is the German response that translates as "good health" without using a deity to preceed it.
Salud mean good health in Spanish, and you use when someone sneeze, same as Gesundheit, but you also say Salud when you're drinking cerveza, margaritas or tequilas, so it also means cheers
Maybe we could do like the Russians. They say "Be healthy".
All of these translations are evoking my American guilt again....
Spanish speakers say "Salud!" = Good Health.  Germans say Good Health in German.  Please, how is this spelled?
May be - Virus bless you - as we sneeze out a lot of viruses.
"Gesundheit". It's German, means "health", and isn't so unusual a word in English, either. What has sneezing to do with god in the first place??

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service