Aberingi's long-running topic entitled "Do we need a Universal Atheist Symbol?" leads me to ask "Do we need a Universal Atheist Motto?".

Well, perhaps we don't, or perhaps we could, but some theists might get deservedly irritated if we chose to use something like "In Darwin we trust" at appropriate moments.
These words, suitably translated into other languages, have a basic international atheist appeal with respect to truth and helpful anti-theist sabre-rattling and debating.
e.g. they might look good on the side of a bus/ coach.

Tags: Darwin, bus slogan

Views: 505

Replies to This Discussion

God, the other invisible meat.
Yes, or its close alternatives like

God is fiction.

Man made god in his own image.
Struggling for years to hold my family intact as we faced the challenge of domestic violence, I sought help from my pastors, teachers, family and religious community. The advice I received over those years amounted to what I now call, "The Passive Gospel", yield, pray, obey, turn the other cheek, acquiesce, crucify myself daily in imitation of the crucified Christ, rejoice in my crucifixion. The harder I tried, the worse things became. God damn you God! Christ! religion! You can all go to hell!

I stepped off a cliff and had no idea where my decision would lead. Why was I born? What is the purpose of life? What constitutes a good and moral person? On what do I stand?

Well, I am created with sensory organs: sight, sound, smell, taste, skin that feels, a heart that yearns, a constitution seeking survival, a mind that reasons. OH!

I am created to participate in life! CREATED TO PARTICIPATE IN LIFE! That is my motto. I feels a whole lot better than thinking I am created to obey!
I like that attitude, Joan. The purpose of life is to live. Well, technically, the purpose of life is to get your genes into the next generation, but life is an unavoidable side-effect. Might as well make the most of it. And now we're smart enough we don't even have to do everything our genes tell us to. Let alone an imaginary god. So, yeah. Born to live. As good a motto as any. Better than most.
Jason, when I believed the purpose of life was to obey, I also believed my purpose was to have children. That was my genetic message, I guess, and that is the important thing I learned, we are born with minds and capable of making decisions in our own interests. Now that is freedom. It funny how that reframe changes everything and makes life much for interesting, challenging, and fun.
Christopher Hitchens on the totalitarianism of religion

http://youtu.be/_lgL2sbAEjY

Religions are the pursuit of complete and total totalitarianism, thought crimes and all. I think it is no mistake that conservatives gravitate towards fascism.

Facism: Fascists believe that a nation is an organic community that requires strong leadership, singular collective identity, and the will and ability to commit violence and wage war in order to keep the nation strong

Just replace nation with god or religion.
Yes, very true - but try getting that on a tee shirt. Maybe the side of a bus, though.
156 billion light years of universe and god is watching you poop! God is a pervert.
OK, now that will work!
Daniel, I agree that conservatism and religion are heavily compatible with fascism. Flag-worship, hero-worship, military-worship, racism, authoritarianism, they all go together with fundamentalist religious practices and attitudes. I've never been able to understand why libertarians would throw in with conservatives. Even taking a lesser-of-two-evils approach, it just makes strange bedfellows for anti-authoritarians to vote for the God Squad.

Well, what I think a motto - if there will be one - is "In Mind we Trust"... Darwin isn't a non-theist superhero, he was just a naturalist who theorized evolution.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service