Aberingi's long-running topic entitled "Do we need a Universal Atheist Symbol?" leads me to ask "Do we need a Universal Atheist Motto?".

Well, perhaps we don't, or perhaps we could, but some theists might get deservedly irritated if we chose to use something like "In Darwin we trust" at appropriate moments.
These words, suitably translated into other languages, have a basic international atheist appeal with respect to truth and helpful anti-theist sabre-rattling and debating.
e.g. they might look good on the side of a bus/ coach.

Tags: Darwin, bus slogan

Views: 516

Replies to This Discussion

Unlike religions which are never updated based on new knowledge/information/understanding. If they are ever updated it is with new mumbo jumbo.
We Seek Truth
The ongoing fight between religion and evolution has been strong since Darwin first introduced his idea to the world. The thought of a god not being the creator of all life was, and is still, blasphemy in the eyes of society and especially in the church. Even still, proclaiming evolution as our kingpin upon which our beliefs rest will only cause believers to further procrastinate the acceptance of evolution. There are believers open to, and accepting of, evolution (although I don't personally see how they can reconcile the two), and I worry that evolution, and science in general, will be equated with atheism. Schools are already referring to the teaching of evolution as "Darwinism", phrased as though that itself has become a form of religion, and that is where we must tread lightly. If evolution, or "Darwinism", can be shown to be a pseudo-religion, then believers will demand -and already are - that their religion be given equal opportunity, and exposure by suggestion in our schools. I would much rather have evolution treated as though it were fact and taught as such in a similar fashion that we teach decimals or geography. Science is unavoidably the pillar of an atheist philosophy. Theories like evolution and the Big Bang will only gain creedance in society if not associated with the dismantling of a deity. The battle between science and faith is infinate and I think believers already associate science as our motto, do they not?
I don't agree that science "is unavoidably the pillar of an atheist philosophy", I honestly think skepticism or critical thinking would be.
But that's what science is: organized skeptical and critical thinking. Science without those things is pseudoscience. Skeptical and critical thinking add up to science. What else is there to science? Empirical evidence? OK, but that's nothing without skeptical and critical thinking.
I think a universal motto is an excellent idea. However, I think any motto that angered rather than disarmed the theist community would be counterproductive. Therefore, I think the motto: 'In Darwin We Trust' would be counterproductive. Such a motto would only energize the theist community. In this regard I think the motto should make a moral statement consistent with Atheism. I my opinion a much more appropriate motto would be: 'Goodness is Fulfilled in Dignity Not Prostration'. A motto in this theme would tend to win people to Atheism and preclude the church from scapegoating us as malign.
I like!
I agree with Fred on that John. You're absolutely right that the cosmic prick Jehovah isn't worthy of worship, and neither would anybody else be who demanded it. I just think the argument needs a bit more than a bumper sticker to get across. It would probably just have people scratching their heads, stated as succinctly as you have it.
This is probably the best slogan I have seen so far :) we just gotta make two line bumper stickers :)
I think that an "atheist slogan" should be about belief/non-belief or at least about the consequences of that. To muddy the waters with Darwin, or Science, or Free-Thinking would distract from the message. [I think these could or should _also_ have slogans that would be to the point and thought-provoking.]

The motto I've seen recently -- "In Good We Trust" -- is effective because it raises the issue of the source of morality (and takes a stand on it), it is a pithy play on words, and a theist really shouldn't be able to argue with its point (but, of course, they will.) At least here in the USA, it has the added advantage of commenting on the governmental usage of a motto on our coinage and currency.
Maybe we can get Bill_S to add it to his line of things at NoSacredCow on zazzle.com ;-)
How about a theme song:

"Take This God and Shove It."

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service