Aberingi's long-running topic entitled "Do we need a Universal Atheist Symbol?" leads me to ask "Do we need a Universal Atheist Motto?".

Well, perhaps we don't, or perhaps we could, but some theists might get deservedly irritated if we chose to use something like "In Darwin we trust" at appropriate moments.
These words, suitably translated into other languages, have a basic international atheist appeal with respect to truth and helpful anti-theist sabre-rattling and debating.
e.g. they might look good on the side of a bus/ coach.

Tags: Darwin, bus slogan

Views: 519

Replies to This Discussion

What about "IN GOD WE DON'T TRUST"
This is a negative perspective. I prefer the positive approach.
In REASON We Trust.

How you like them apples?
On first glance this sounds good and then I remember all the nice, gracious, loving, caring, dependable, resourceful, intelligent, compassionate people who believe the strangest things. I also have a son who just makes no sense to me. He tries to tell me how he arrives at his conclusions and there is just no rhyme nor reason to his logic.
Perfect! I love it.
I would prefer "In Science and Reason we trust." Science for the facts of existence and Reason for the morals and ethics of living.
At first sight this looks good.
However, the word 'reason' also gets used by theocratic philosophers to support their own beliefs.
So slightly better is "In scientific reason we trust".

And yet, the verb 'trust' can be a loaded word because it can be worked either way depending on the writer. [e.g. the god-botherers 'trust' their faith---which we know has no proof---whereas science is to be trusted because millions of scientists have performed billions of experiments that all support one other and can be repeatedly tested.] What alternative might there be to 'trust' ?

So, perhaps, "In science, we reason"
or something similar can be considered..
and Reason for the morals and ethics of living.

I can see that you mean well but the word reason alone does not connote morality (Hitler and Stalin believed in reason too.) Reason will take one to different conclusions according to the hypotheses that it is founded in. In order to not have the church scapegoat us as a bunch of Hitlers and Stalins I would like to see one word added to your motto so that it reads: In Dignity, Science and Reason We Trust.
I'm in agreement on a positive approach

Or may be

IN GOD WE RUST

Er shouldn't we fix the symbol first? Of all the symbols to co-opt, they choose one associated with virginal blood in a negative context, what were they thinking.

Why not the Ace of Cups? A big ol' jewel encrusted gold cup gushing over,surrounded by greenery and happy dancing animals, bright blue sunny skies in the background....

As opposed to a cross, which represents suffering, swords which represent conflict, the star of David which represents being abused for a few millennia because of pride and ridiculous beliefs, etc.
I am firmly of the opinion that this is the last thing we need. Mostly because I am a habitual iconoclast. I cannot stand the elevation of either persons or symbols (or phrases) to the level of knee-jerk adulation. I recognize the need for community, and to posit something in the place of religion to fill that need, but we must be careful not to replace one unthinking system with another. Slogans make me itchy. And I certainly don't recommend associating Darwin with any motto previously associated with religion. This doesn't rebut religion, it merely adds fuel to the religious accusation that recognition of the truth of evolution is tantamount to the worship of Darwin.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service