Brian Cox What went wrong at the Large Hadron Collider

What is the use of all these expensive experiments? 

“Nothing is so dangerous to the progress of the human mind than to assume that our views of science are ultimate, that there are no mysteries in nature, that our triumphs are complete and that there are no new worlds to conquer.”

~Humphry Davy

Views: 340

Replies to This Discussion

And how are we to know what is going to create happiness?

Hi Rose! I'm commenting on your post that the ultimate goal of human endeavor should be human happiness. It can't be put much better than that. More power to you.

Well put, Loren.

The Large Hadron Collider  is the most complex piece of engineering in the history of history. shit happens. 

John, you wrote, "who do you think would be happy if we hadn't won World War II?"
No one would have been happy if the Allies hadn't won WW II because fascism in Germany, Italy and Japan had to be stopped.

Let's separate out using the atomic bomb on two very inflammable cities in Japan and winning WW II. Of course it was necessary to defeat fascism. Did the Japanese public deserve to be cremated and with lasting radiation damage to future generations? Perhaps. Use of those two bombs certainly brought a quick end to that horrid war and the end of Nazi Germany, and Imperialist Japan; for that I am grateful.

You wrote, "policemen must have guns or criminals will run our lives."
I wonder if we would have a better criminal system if the laws defined crimes, police had the authority to make arrests, courts made judgments based on those laws and criminals were judged innocent or guilty without regard for economic, political, or racial prejudice? Corruption in any part of the whole process weakens it. Guns in the hands of policemen is not the only answer. It is more complicated than that.

I had to think a bit on the Atomic bomb comments. The use of them to end WWII in one fell swoop was easily justified, it was the only kind of force they would recognize and it cost a lot less lives than an invasion would have (I believe the figures were on the order of at least 5X the loss of life had an invasion gone ahead). Where it is not justified is in the over the top nuclear testing that went on and in the ill concieved flights in the early days with live special weapons on board military aircraft over civilian populations. I understand tests need to be made but I fail to see how 'that many' were justified. The loss of aircraft with special weapons on board (and loss of same weapons) still haunts us to this day.

Believing in science whether it be blind or limited is a far cry from believing what those that danced around mudhut campfires were responsible for writing. Ahem.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service