I recently started a new job and eveyone seems very religous. While discussing with a co-worker that i recently quit smoking she said "i bet your family and god are smiling down on you for that". i just smiled and continued my lunch. Should i have said different?

Views: 168

Replies to This Discussion

Sadly, no matter how polite we are about what we believe we will still probably be labeled "rude" or some other ridiculous thing.
I really feel for you as well. I can't look in any direction in my work area without seeing some religious artifact or another, but I made sure in my early days on this job to feel people out about how much they might push things on me if it came to it. I also laid the groundwork to point them on the direction to not bother me with their religious information or ideas, but in a way to make them think they figured it out on their own. It is just safer that way.
For me religion and the work place is a "no go area". I would have handled it exactly like you did.

I see no point in limiting my career simply because I need to make a point about silly religions. As an Atheist there is no law that says I can't moonlight as a Christian to keep my job. Personally, I don't care one way or the other. I don't believe in god, but i'll happily let them think I do, if it gains me something.
I think if you are a tactful person, you can pull off "coming out." I've been open about my atheism on the job and most people think I am just an interesting anomaly.
Before I became an atheist - later in life then most - when I heard news stories about atheists I always felt as if they were a threat to my beliefs and my religion. Atheism is saddled with bad connotations (communism, anarchism, etc.). Although I refer to myself as an atheist when I'm with friends or in a group of liberals, I usually say that I'm non-religious when in public - and "mind your own business" after that.
Roman, your remarks about a perceived 'threat' are significant.
We should not frighten god-believers that way.
How best to forestall erroneous sentiment?
Maybe when confronted in face-to-face argument, atheists should indeed make more use of words and phrases that give a better meaning to our world view, like disbelievers, non-believers, freethinkers, non-religious, beyond indoctrination . . . 
because we are
   disbelievers in superstition, 
   nonbelievers in biblical mythologies, 
   non-supportors of that genocidal fictional god 
I say
   I am a non-believer in superstition --- which is what the gods are all about. 
   I disbelieve in your god entirely because there isn't one. It's just fiction, and you have been indoctrinated into believing that the biblical fables are true---and do not recognize them for the mythologies that they are, and therefore fiction and false. 
Supporters of religion should as well be repetitively reminded of the atrocities, genocides, religious wars, and other horrors perpetrated in the last two thousand years because of religion. These matters are never raised by the godbots who seek out the few passages that speak of peace and goodwill 
If you don't say anything in the beginning then you will shock them later. And they won't like it. A relative is constantly saying to me, "Ok, I will start the prayer chain." Like when I have an interview for a job she chimes in, "Ok, I will start the prayer chain." It drives me nuts. I just want to say, "you really shouldn't talk to yourself." But I have never said anything so now, I feel like I can't. In another situation a co-worker gave me the opportunity many times to come out by repeatedly bringing up her faith and assuming we all are christians. Then, national prayer day came and she said gidily, "it's national prayer day!" I said, "I am an atheist." She was so shocked that it changed how she treated me. As if I had hid this secret just to bring it out on this special day to offend her. I believe in always being open about it. I don't have the 'respect all religions' mentality because I feel religion is harmful to everyone. Extremists come from moderates. Although I know how, in the workforce, we may have to be more delicate just to keep our jobs.
No idea. Im guessing they are calling all their friends to pray.
An incremental approach sometimes works. Start by being noncommittal. That lets your fellow workers learn you as a person and come to think of you as a fellow worker. Then, pick your time and let it be known that you are not a church-goer. Since that is true for many religious folks as well, it may arouse little concern. If pressed, inform coworkers that you are not religious. For some reason, being perceived as "non religious" carries milder overtones than saying one is an atheist. And, yes. Congratulations on stopping smoking. It is a potentially lethal habit.
being perceived as "non religious" carries milder overtones than saying one is an atheist

Not always.
I agree. It depends on the listeners and the local culture.
im also in this situation.. but worse, my parents are still religious one and claim as muslim. even i dont tell my parents that im already an atheist, also atheism isnt allowed in this country. maybe u can say different to your co-worker, but still becareful with who u tell about your faith..

after all im proud to be an atheist..

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service