Bangkokpost.com

A 1,000 year old dhow, a 25 foot long Arab merchant ship made of wooden components stitched with rope, was found buried several meters deep on an old shrimp farm.  The dhow contained various artifacts, such as amphoras, in European style, and Tang dynasty Chinese earthenware.

The article contains photos of an amphora, and betel nuts.

I grew up with history being taught that Europeans were the center of everything, and especially center of everything important.  Over the past couple of decades, I've been trying to relearn history as what it is - worldwide cultures, with interactions, discoveries, trade, cultures, that were fully independent of Europeans, with amazing histories and innovations.  What fascinates me about this, is 500 years before the Columbian exchange, here we have an Arab merchant ship with items from Europe and China, found in Thailand.

The world is far more complex, and far more interesting, all of the time.

I wonder what life was like for those sailors.

Views: 58

Replies to This Discussion

WOW....what an interesting site to find! The pictures are amazing showing some fairly intact items. The ivory & betel nuts look like they're sort of fossilized....but what do I know......

Yes when I read about Egypt (Khemet) and the Hieroglyphics it cause me to study more. Reading about how the Europeans decimated and raided many of the  tombs long ago trying to hide or destroy much of what was left over from the original raiders caused me to really search for more answers. Finding out that certain African dialect contain some language from Asia I new there was a Asiatic connection long before ships sailed out of Europe. Reading and seeing maps of Pangia also alerted me to the vast amounts of historical information that I never knew or was taught in school.

I was really intrigued by the story's references to the boat being stitched construction.  A little bit of google digging and I came up with a few sites that sort of explain how it was done and how they did it without having the craft leak like a colander.  Neat stuff.  (And, I too was brought up being taught that the world's successes were all Eurocentric. After working in different cultures around the world, it becomes pretty apparent that there was a whole lot of thinking and inventing going on in the East.)

http://indigenousboats.blogspot.com/2010/07/cheops-royal-ship.html

http://catnaps.org/islamic/boats2.html

http://www.einesaite.com/blog/einesaite/2013/11/26/sewing-boats

I think the Eurocentric view is largely because history is written by those who win the wars, and in recent history, it was Europeans who won the wars.  Now the world is becoming more global, and it feels like the story of civilization is everywhere - the Incas, Aztecs, Mayas, Timbuktu, Khmer, China, India, on and on and on.  It is fascinating reading.  I think erasing those human experiences, erases the universality of human experience.  

Thanks for the link, especially the stitched boats.  Really interesting.

I share your enthusiasm for relearning history. The thought of such early journeys from Europe to China and found in Thailand offers an unknown, at least to us, history. The pottery was so pretty in shape, I wonder about its color. I'll be following this story. I put the original story on Twitter with attribution to you. 

Same route for me, Sentient, growing up with Europocentric ideas. It was and still is so exciting to discover all the other history!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service