As many of you heard, we are having a rough time over at the Omaha Community Playhouse, which is both my primary source of income and my home. Our Artistic Director was recently asked to step down, and our Associate Artistic Director has likewise decided to resign. This is due, at least in part, to financial difficulties we are having in this recession, and we keep hearing vague but ominous comments suggesting more cuts will follow soon.

The incredibly poor timing of this (which members of our leadership "explained" with a non-answer answer at least twice today), inspired 3 out of 4 actors to quit their show a week before opening night. This means we've had to cancel the show... a first in the 84 year history of the Playhouse and a first in the long careers of everyone I work with. The actors certainly made their point, but in effect they also threw away the months of hard work my coworkers, volunteers, donors, area partners, and our young apprentices put into this show. As a rough guess I'd say we're talking about at least a hundred people. You can see pictures of the set here, but you can't see it in action: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/photo.php?pid=1503009&id=789...

For anyone interested, there is an open forum happening at the Omaha Playhouse tomorrow (Tuesday) night from 5:30-7:30pm, where the floor is open for questions--hopefully those questions will be answered. More details can be found here: http://omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2620&u_sid=10609220

If you come tomorrow, look me up. I'll be one of the scruffy-looking skinny guys in steel-toed boots. And if not, I invite you to come see a show this season. I can personally guarantee that the design and technical aspects of the show will be exceptional, because we're all putting our blood, sweat, tears, and sleepless nights into it.

Views: 12

Replies to This Discussion

Well, we were the lead news story on Channel 6 and 7 tonight. We didn't really get much in the way of clarity or transparency among those in charge, but at least it appears as if all parties involved are trying to make amends. It was good to see the house packed on such short notice, and to see so many people who love the place I call home.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service