Only 1 in 10 Americans is a Global Warming Denier, Report Finds

by Timothy Hurst 

Turn on the TV news tonight and in the (unlikely) event you see any coverage of global warming  you are likely to come away with the belief that Americans are evenly divided about the issue and what we should do about it. But a fascinating new report by researchers at Yale University and George Mason University found that Americans are not evenly split on the issue. In fact, only 10 percent are in the camp that believes global warming is absolutely not happening and that human actions have no impact on global temperature change.

Published last month by the Yale Project on Climate Change Communication and the George Mason University Center for Climate Change Communication, the report (pdf) shows that Americans are far less polarized about global warming than is commonly believed. Among other things, the report also found strong support for government action to address global warming, including support for a revenue neutral carbon tax, regardless of political party preference.

Researchers found that a strong majority of Americans (72%) believe global warming should be a political priority and they want their elected officials to do something about it. An even stronger majority (92%) think that developing clean energy should be a political priority. The survey also showed a majority of Americans think that protecting the environment actually improves economic growth and creates jobs.

Tags: United States, global warming, skepticism

Views: 66

Replies to This Discussion

Money spent on bombs, bullets and battles are better spent on schools, hospitals, roads, bridges ... well you know the list as well as I. Money spent on wars destroy people and places and cultures. Haven't we grown up enough to know the difference? 

Forgive me, Joan. I can't follow how this post is related to the article I posted, though you make good points...

Sarah, you correctly state my post doesn't logically follow yours. Mark it up to my frustration. Evidence of climate change and global warming abound. Deniers don't come to their conclusions because of politics or economics, it is because facing the reality of change just cannot be tolerated. By living in denial, they not only do not prepare for the coming changing events, but they squander resources, human, money, and time, on destroying those who do not live up to some corporate notions of control. If they face global warming they have to make some changes in values and procedures and admit they have no control. 

I am really sorry, Sarah. Mark my remark up to frustration fart. 

No worries! I figured there was a connection in there somewhere! :)

I was very happy to hear about this. It might have implications for theism levels too.

That many of us are surprised that only 10% are deniers is an indictment of the media.  Mainstream media (on both sides but mostly fox) is to blame for our skewed perception of ourselves and each other. It is all truthy eye catching headlines and hyped up alarmism because it sells.  

I agree with annet. This is an indictment of the media that our perception is so skewed. The issue of fear is tricky. True "If it bleeds it leads", and media hype alarmism. But climate denial is also driven by deep seated fear that capitalism will have to go and that the problem is just too horrible to even think about.

The he-said/she-said that passes for journalism is pathetic. Journalists have come to believe that they are not in the business of accurately representing reality based on the most reliable information available. Instead, they think that giving "both sides" a voice is all they have to do, even thought that invariably gives the impression that all issues are roughly 50/50.

The way the media put the information out there I would have thought differently.

Indeedy. And the authors of the study note that. It's because conflict is easy to sell, so news companies create false dichotomies.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Plinius commented on Sentient Biped's group Food!
9 minutes ago
Neanderthal Man replied to Napoleon Bonaparte's discussion Viking Trance in the group Les Athées Napoléonienne
46 minutes ago
Neanderthal Man posted a video

Viking Trance - The Spyda Web from Napoleon Bonaparte on Vimeo.

Viking Trance - The Spyda Web

Music by Viking Trance with video artwork and editing by Napoleon Bonaparte. Smart Dog Video London (UK) 2014. Viking Trance Radio www.vikingtrance.com Viking Trance buy link
54 minutes ago
Man boob posted a status
"CHECK OUT THE SONGS I UPLOADED ON MY PROFILE WOOOOOOOOO"
1 hour ago
Man boob posted songs
1 hour ago
Rick posted a blog post
1 hour ago
Rick posted a status
"Pondering....pondering......pondering...."
1 hour ago
Jonathan Tweet replied to Freethinker31's discussion Are Atheists too judgmental??
2 hours ago
Joan Denoo commented on Joan Denoo's blog post I am offended
3 hours ago
Vangelis replied to Vangelis's discussion Declaration of Atheism
3 hours ago
Joan Denoo commented on Joan Denoo's blog post Isn’t it time to save the the U.S.A. from the South?
4 hours ago
Joan Denoo posted a discussion
4 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service