Graham Land makes a good point that many people worry about the alleged Dec 2012 Mayan prediction, while ignoring science-based projections of climate crisis.

Climate change: What about the real apocalypse?

Since when did Mayan beliefs get such global credibility, anyway? According to a recent Reuters poll, 10% globally are experiencing “fear or anxiety” regarding the end of the world in 2012. What’s more is that the Mayans apparently aren’t even predicting an apocalypse. One Pakistani journalist went to interview a Mayan shaman in Mexico. Here is some of what he had to say on the “apocalypse”:

"Well my dear child, this is the maligning of our culture and heritage at the hands of money hungry and greedy con artists who have no strong backing or evidence about the statements they are making. They have twisted our words and gone out there into the world to make fools out of everyone. They have accumulated immense wealth by making movies and writing books, blaming the entire doomsday idea on us poor villagers. What saddens me is how the world and its intelligent, educated people have fallen right into their trap, spreading this nonsense further, while we Mayans out here in Mexico keep meeting tourists, volunteers and socials workers and find that it is our duty to let them know that we never, ever once said the world is going to end on December 2012."

It’s also enough to make any optimist a bit cynical when the Earth is faced with environmental catastrophes such as unprecedented pollution, biodiversity crises, water shortages, climate change – just pick one of the others if you don’t believe in climate change – and people prefer to pay more attention to a bastardization of a myth attributed to Mayans.

Tags: Mayan prediction, apocalyptic anxiety, climate crisis

Views: 86

Replies to This Discussion

What floors me is this: the people who are claiming that the Mayan calendar is an indicator of the end of the world are little different from those who say that Jebus is coming back soon, using their bible as a referent.  Now tell me this:

Why Is It that people who lived centuries if not millennia ago, ignorant of physics and astronomy as we know them now, are supposed to know more about the happenings and dynamics of our world than we do right now?

I would REALLY like to know.

LOL Loren, of course their answer always is something like: "Because it is written from our omniscient God who knows everything and confounded the universe so man cannot ever know what it knows."  

Yes, the question should be rephrased as:

Why would a super-intelligent, omnipotent, omniscient deity choose low intelligent, unknowledgeable scribes to record it's messages when it knows (due to this omniscience) that more intelligent with more accurate recording techniques will be only a mere millenium away. 

It evidently couldn't wait, leaving an extremely poor, unverifiable piece of junk that was hardly worth the effort of having it's messages recorded.

Proving that it was definitely not omniscient, but a creation of those naive scribes.

We can be condemned by the bad choices we make, the Bible God can thus be condemned for making extremely poor choices in followers, tactics and extremely poor displays of ethics.

So, in the name of truth, ethics and humanity, we must openly condemn the Bible God!

Aye M8! 

I've heard a lot of crap about the poles shifting, tomorrow, and that causing worldwide catastrophe.  Of course it's ridiculous.  With any brief glance at geomagnetic reversal, outside of an hysterical end-of-times publication, you'll rapidly notice that it takes several thousand years for the poles to shift.

It's about 26,000 years and the poles do not really shift. The effect is like the wobble of a spinning top. The Myans appear to have known this and we turned their information into something else entirely, making the end of a cycle into the end of the world. The real surprise here is that the Myans were said to have viewed the stars through special pools of water just for that purpose as they had no telescopes.

I wasn't talking about the wobble of our rotation.  I was talking about the geomagnetic pole shifts which happen occasionally, every couple hundred-thousand years or every million years or so.

Of course new-agers are completely ignorant of what the process means.  A lot of them apparently believe that the inside of the earth flips over completely, 90 degrees or 180 degrees, within about a 24 hour period, with the crust sliding along the mantle, somehow.

New-agers do that a lot.  They grab one statement about something that actually happens, then start making up shit about what that statement actually means.

It's about 26,000 years and the poles do not really shift. The effect is like the wobble of a spinning top.

You're talking about precession, which happens as well. It would be amazing if the Mayans knew about that, how could they?

http://youtu.be/6TI1M3abAM8 This video sums up the Mayans pretty well. I can only tell you this about global warming denialism... I used to be a denialist, and when I look back, it is because that is what the adults were teaching me in school. I am 26, so that really only goes to explaining my generation of denialists. I can also tell you, it was Peter Hadfield, or potholer54 on YouTube, who convinced me that global warming is a fact. I will also say, he is the one who also convinced me that 1. Science will deal with this weather we have to drag humanity kicking and screaming or not. As well as 2. The apocalypse wont happen tomorrow. Solutions are still very possible, and quite achievable. The nihilistic doom criers are equally at fault as the denialists for clouding the public's ability to see the issue clearly, keeping them from approaching the issue rationally. Most of all, they underestimate humanity and science as whole. Usually by applying malformed interpretation of history as evidence of humanities rush to annihilation, when the only thing I can see is humanity having done nothing but grown leaps and bounds. I do not think humanity would be where it is today, despite all its flaws, if people in general weren't inherently good, and capable of growing intellectually. So in my mind, we will be just fine, as long as we try to educate people reasonably. I don't understand why people accept a position that is diametrically opposed to reality, on either end of it.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service