Through the years I have read hundreds of books, and i have noticed that I see less and less stories that end without a happy resolution. i recently went back and read 1984 and I am Legend, While these were amazing books, neither one of them would have what I would call a happy ending. I can't be the only one who liked this style of writing, i just can't seem to find any current stories like this.

Any recommendations?

Views: 36

Replies to This Discussion

You might like Chuck Palahniuk books then. Twisted stuff and very few happy endings.

A couple of Heinlein novels come to mind: Podkayne of Mars and Glory Road.  The release I own of Podkayne has the original ending an an alternate, which can hardly be called, "happy."  Glory Road may be a touch more upbeat, though considering what Oscar Gordon is forced to confront after he supposedly wins the day, I wouldn't call it fully a happy ending.  Heinlein's Moon is a Harsh Mistress has more of a "life goes on" ending to it, though it has serious losses among its leading cast.

And thinking of downright downer endings, Huxley's Brave New World is right up there, now that I think about it.

I prefer a "happy ending" but not at the cost of character development or plot. You see a lot of movies in paticular with a happy ending tacked on, and its just so annoying.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

k.h. ky replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Leader of the Church of England doubts the existence of god in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
5 minutes ago
Dr. Allan H. Clark replied to scott martins's discussion IS EVERYBODY 100% POSITIVE THERE IS NO GOD?
17 minutes ago
John Jubinsky liked Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Leader of the Church of England doubts the existence of god
22 minutes ago
Neanderthal Man liked Napoleon Bonaparte's discussion Punk Rock Anarchiste Français (écoutez la musique)
22 minutes ago
John Jubinsky replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Leader of the Church of England doubts the existence of god in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
22 minutes ago
James M. Martin replied to James M. Martin's discussion How to Have Your Fake and Beat it, Too: Atheists Refused Right to Give Invocation in the group Atheism & the Law
44 minutes ago
Ruth Anthony-Gardner added a discussion to the group Eco-Logical: A Group for Environmentalists
55 minutes ago
Freethinker31 replied to MattyLJ's discussion Are you clean and organized?
1 hour ago
Freethinker31 posted a discussion
1 hour ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to James M. Martin's discussion How to Have Your Fake and Beat it, Too: Atheists Refused Right to Give Invocation in the group Atheism & the Law
1 hour ago
James M. Martin replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Leader of the Church of England doubts the existence of god in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
James M. Martin replied to James M. Martin's discussion How to Have Your Fake and Beat it, Too: Atheists Refused Right to Give Invocation in the group Atheism & the Law
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service