I went to a local book shop yesterday to pick up a magazine for my girlfriend and noticed they had a "Buy 1, get 2 Free" shelf. Clearly, I was compelled to peruse. I actually found quite a few decent books and had a rough time narrowing it down to 3. So, I picked up "Voyage of the Beagle" by Darwin, "The Assault on Reason" by Al Gore and "The Little Book of Atheist Spirituality".

My question is has anyone read the third book? I'm not sure about the concept of atheist spirituality to begin with, but if anyone has read it, I'd appreciate any comments.

Views: 0

Replies to This Discussion

I did. After I bought it I actually hesitated getting around to reading it thinking it was going to be all woo-woo meditate-y or something, but I recall it as being a good read.

I sell lots of books after I read them, but kept that one. Actually I see that I kept about a dozen pages marked with little flags about interesting points he made.

Actually, here is my favorite quote from it:
"Believing in God, I once wrote, is a sin of pride. It is imagining a grand cause for a meager effort."

The seed from that thought has actually occupied my thinking off and on for the last week or so.
Very cool. Looking forward to getting around to this one. I'll let you know what I think when I've finished it.
I read it and didn't like it at all! Spirituality is just religion-light. Don't waste your time.

This is my review from another social network (Atheist tribe on Tribe):

THAT BOOK SUCKED!!!!

Bullshit piled on more vague bullshit. What a waste of our short lives.

I could go on for almost as long as the book itself with criticisms. It is sad what passes for philosophy.
Page after page of nonsense. Arguments of the form:

Vast unfounded assertion,
obtuse reference to philosopher or literary figure,
non sequitur,
restate unfounded assertion in slightly different form,
repeat for 200 pages.

And the irritating use of meaningless rhetorical phrases like "It goes without saying," and "It cannot be denied." Hey Comte-Sponville, I'll decide for myself what cannot be denied, thank you very much.

Example from page one:
"God is reputed to be perfect. No religion can ever be so."

What? Why? How do you know that? Why should I accept that statement? Many religions claim to be perfect. The author never backs up such statements. That goes on for 200 pages.
As typical of a philosopher rather an a scientist, he does not bother to define key constructs. He uses the terms "soul" and "spirit" as key elements in his sloppy arguments long before giving any definition. The "spirit" he almost defines is essentially the ghost in the machine, and I think that concept is as useless as god. No we do not need spirituality, or mysticism, or a soul.
I have that one sitting on my shelf. Looks like it's getting mixed reviews here! When I get around to it, I'll let you know what I get from it.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service