I've decided to read "Lies My Teacher Told Me" by James W. Loewen. About 65 pages in so far, really good read, although I find him to be somewhat bitter? Maybe thats my brain twisting the conversation :D

How many people have read this book, found it helpful, informative, etc. Do you like it better than "A People's History of the United States", which I will read after I'm done with Lies.

Tags: James W. Loewen, american history, lies my teacher told me

Views: 34

Replies to This Discussion

It's an incredible book. I listened to it on CD while driving. That's a great way to do it, because it's fairly long and academic. It doesn't suck you in with a strong plot, but each chapter stands on its own. You can listen to it as you please, while commuting or on a trip, then put it away for a week or two.

It's incredibly well researched, and by the time you finish it, you'll never see America the same way.

His main point is that by turning our history into myths and ignoring our sins, we lose the most important part of our history.

For example, do any of you know who the biggest single slave trader in history was? Take a guess ... you'll be wrong. It was Christopher Columbus. He bought and sold more slaves than anyone else.
It's been a while since I read the book, which I liked. I'm curious as to how you interpreted him to be bitter?

I haven't finished Howard Zinn's book, partially because I use it as a reference.

As for tags: To make them useful, if you want more than say "W" to show up as a tag, enclose two words or a phrase in quotation marks, like so: "American history", "James W. Loewen", lies.
I kind of find his tone somewhat bitter. I understand he wants his position to be viewed as showing the truth, and in doing so telling a better story, where textbooks try to give you false facts for tests. Whenever he discusses the "traditional white" versions of history he really drags them through the mud. It just sounds bitter to me, maybe angry I dunno :D.
I haven't read "Lies", but I read "A People's History..." by Zinn many years ago and it was an excellent read. I'm looking at it on my bookshelf now, I might have to go back and re-read it, it was a really powerful book.
I'm still reading Zinn's "A People's History..." It's interesting. I especially like quoting it in my thesis papers I write in my history class, as a way to counter what our textbook leaves out.
I absolutely love this book, and it was one of my first wake-up calls to everything that's wrong with the American public school system. That said, Loewen is bitter, and has every reason to be.
I didn't get the sense of bitterness from reading it. For most of it it felt as though he considered it of great importance to share what he had found. Frustrated to have to undo the damage done before he could proceed with his curriculum. And perhaps hopeful that with informing more people of the problems with history taught through the first 12 years that there would be improvements. But then that might be me imposing my feelings on the subject. It is an excellent book and I always recommend it.
Frustration is probably a good way to put it. :D. In school I would have liked to hear more about the peoples in the Americas before the Spanish, etc. In fact I only had one teacher talk about the possibility of ancient peoples using boats to cross the vast oceans. That class was African Art which covered ancient to the present. It makes the story that much more interesting.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service