Official list of nominations for the August Book Club book (Classics)

This thread is now closed!

As the title says, nominate a book to be read by the members of the book club in August. The category for this month is CLASSICS.

One nomination per person.

Suggestions so far:

* Gilgamesh
* Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank
* Desert of the Heart by Jane Rule
* Dune by Frank Herbert
* Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
* Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
* Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
* Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters by J.D. Salinger
* Sophie's Choice by William Styron
* Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

Tags: august, book, club

Views: 16

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Gilgamesh (Stephen Mitchell's translation should be the easiest to find)
The Bible

it's a classic

yes, I'm kidding lol...
Now seriously,

Alas, Babylon - Pat Frank

On the description page: This book is a post-post-apocalyptic novel, involving a nuclear age...

uh la la howcome I've never heard of it? shame on me.
Desert of the Heart - Jane Rule

I'm including a lot of information here in an attempt to prove I'm not being cheesy in suggesting a book about lesbians :) This is a truly great book a "classic", Beautifully written, incredibly insightful, and deeply moving. It has remained in print almost continuously and remains today as wonderful as when it was written. So I highly recommend. *grin*

From Wikipedia
"Desert of the Heart is a 1964 lesbian-themed novel written by Jane Rule. The story was adapted loosely into the 1985 film Desert Hearts, directed by Donna Deitch. The book was originally published in hardback by Macmillan Canada. It was one of the very few novels that addressed lesbianism that was published in hardback form; most books during this period with female homosexuality as a topic were considered lesbian pulp fiction until 1969.
At the time the novel was published, Rule was a lecturer at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, and because the novel dealt with lesbianism, her job was threatened."

T. Fessenden's view
"My most immediate subject is realist writer Jane Rule's Desert of the heart, which I read as a lesbian revision of Bunyan's The Pigrim's Progress, Rule's novel offers not only an explicit critigue of The Pigrim's Progress's representation of female Bildung, but, largely by retrieving Bunyan's paradigms of progress, also effects a cautionary allegory for Anglo-American culture's constructions of gender, genre, and sexuality.......Rule's work is a latter-day pilgrim's progress that subverts the tradition of realist literature shaped by Bunyan, Milton and the Bible"

page: 239 : The Puritan Origins of American Sex: Religion, Sexuality, and National Identity in American Literature / T. Fessenden

Publisher: Routledge; 1 edition (November 17, 2000)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0415926408
ISBN-13: 978-0415926409

Cover for 2nd Edition paperback

Desert of the heart

Language English
Publisher Macmillan Canada
Publication date 1964
Media type print
ISBN 159493035X

Still in print - this is at least the 9th Edition [cover is the poster for the 1985 film Desert Hearts based on the book]

Desert of the heart

Paperback: 222 pages
Publisher: Bella Books (July 30, 2005)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 159493035X
ISBN-13: 978-1594930355
Just how do you define what makes a "classic"?

Anyway, how about Dune by Frank Herbert. I've been meaning to read through it and it would be nice to have an excuse.
I just finished _Reading Lolita in Tehran_ (which, incidentally, is delicately and masterfully written, and includes some insightful literary criticism along with a heart-wrenching and cautionary portrait of what life is like for a secular person under a government in the grip of religious extremists) which has piqued my interest in reading *something* by Nabokov. Lolita is at the top of my list, if I can find a copy at the local library.

Now that I think of it, though, I think that _Reading Lolita in Tehran_ would be an excellent book for us to read and discuss. It's a little bit lighter fare (than Nabokov, but I'm not sure that that is saying much), but I think the potential for participation is a bit higher.
I should clarify: this is a suggestion for a later month, not this month.
lol, at first I thought you were saying you read the book "Lolita" in Tehran the city...and I was going to ask how could an atheist live on an Islamic republic etc...duh to me...;)
I had exactly the same question. My personal answer: google "classical literature", whatever pops up as classical literature is a classic. :P

The thing with classics is that most of them we've all read at some point or another. I'd like to reread Dune or Lolita (please don't make me reread Gilgamesh lol), but I'd rather read something I've never read before.
How about Kurt Vonnegut's "Cat's Cradle"? I've been meaning to re-read this one. If you haven't read it, it's a classic combination of horror and hilarity that you'll never forget.
I would like to suggest Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. I've been meaning to read it for ages and ages, but have yet to find the motivation for it...
"raise high the roof beams , carpenters" by J.D. salinger
Now that is classic :)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Amanda Ashcraft posted a photo
22 minutes ago
Luara commented on Freethinker31's blog post Respect for other peoples culture
24 minutes ago
Loren Miller commented on Joan Denoo's blog post We need a new narrative.
32 minutes ago
Luara replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Chris G replied to Scot Hinson's discussion Suicide ?!?
1 hour ago
Luara replied to Nick Bottom's discussion Solicitors, go away
1 hour ago
Joseph P replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Dr. Terence Meaden replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Luara commented on Freethinker31's blog post About that Bible
2 hours ago
Joseph P replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago
Joseph P replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago
Dr. Terence Meaden replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service