I've always enjoyed asimov

Tags: Books, Fiction, Science

Views: 150

Replies to This Discussion

Occasionally I read sci-fi, or what passes for close to it. I recently read 'The Stars My Destination' by Alfred Bester, whom some consider a god-father to the genre. It was originally released as 'Tiger, Tiger'. Also enjoy the classics, like Asimov, but also like Richard Matheson and some of Vonnegut's science-fictiony (?)

writing.

I've got Amazon on hold while I look at other's suggestions.

Currently I'm reading a book called Virtual Girl by an author named Amy Thompson. It's pretty good. One of the drawbacks to many of Asimov's books was that he focused a lot on the people and how robots in their society affected human's, but did not focus on how the robots themselves felt about their role in society.

I like many authors in sci-fi with many varying points of view, but I think the big generes that I focus on are Robots and Dystopian futures.

I agree with that view of Asimov, one of my little quibbles. I'm not actually very fond of his characters in general, I like his ideas & plots, but his characters and style are not my favorite. I enjoy his essays sometimes more than his fiction.

If you want to read a very different style than Asimov, Ruddy Rucker goes into quite a bit of detail about how the created characters feel and think about themselves and their lives - he focuses quite a lot on on both mechanical and biological artificial life forms. I'm not crazy about his human characters, but his style is crudely energetic cyber punk that can be fun; you might like it if you like Amy Thompson, since they are both considered to be "cyberpunk" for what that's worth. 

Also for the points of view of non-human or trans-human characters I enjoy Jeff Noon - author of Vurt & Nymphomation. His style is quirky and cyber-punkish, I guess, way more artsy & poetic than old school writers like Asimov, which is neither good nor bad to me, just an observation.
Garth Nix.  Phillip Pullman (I first read him without really realizing that he was anti-theist and before I was out of middle school.) I started off in such a freethinking home that I had no idea how dangerous theology can be...
As I do not generally read anything but non-fiction, when I do get the urge to read sci-fi, I usually go straight to Ben Bova.  I have read almost all of his books so far and really like his style of fact based fiction.  Sci-fi drama confuses me, probably due to a lack of imagination...i guess, but Bova's books are written with mounds a factual, researched details, which makes them much easier for me to read.

George R. R. Martin; Octavia Butler; Katherine Kurtz

Fritz Leiber is generally considered to be an fantasy rather than sci-fi author, but I like his stuff both for being well crafted, humanistic with amusing characters and commentary on the human condition, and it's sometimes called "crudely vulgar and anti-Christian" which are not bad things in my book. 

http://www.conceptualfiction.com/fritz_leiber.html

I'm also a huge fan of Stanislaw Lem - to me he reads like Vonnegut in that he seems to have a profound grasp of human nature at it best and worst, but with a bit more hard science elements in the mix. I also love both authors for their humor, and their willingness to be all kinds of funny - silly, goofy, surreal, bizarre, darkly funny / gallows humor, sly, childish, but then by turns crushingly tragic and heartrending. 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Tom Sarbeck replied to Joan Denoo's discussion My gravesite inscription
2 minutes ago
Luara replied to Joan Denoo's discussion Eradicating the Faith Virus - A Conversation with Peter Boghossian
5 minutes ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Homosexuals are possessed by fart demons. in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
16 minutes ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Homosexuals are possessed by fart demons. in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
21 minutes ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to Pandarius's discussion When the solution is simple, God is answering. - Albert Einstein
26 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Homosexuals are possessed by fart demons. in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
40 minutes ago
Luara replied to Pandarius's discussion When the solution is simple, God is answering. - Albert Einstein
1 hour ago
Ted Foureagles replied to satyam dangi's discussion Do we need to change the entire spectrum of human civilization ?
1 hour ago
Luara replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Homosexuals are possessed by fart demons. in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
1 hour ago
The Devian replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Why Does Prince George Have Brown Eyes? in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Ted Foureagles replied to Kalista Whitney's discussion Was there a particular event in your life that contributed to you becoming atheist?
2 hours ago
The Devian replied to Brian Edward Croner's discussion Intelligent But Makes an Exception for Religion in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service